Board Tracker or 1910s replica? Dunno...

GoldenMotor.com

Doktor Puttz

Nov 14, 2009
Florida
Working on a Huffy Cranbrook, going for that vintage look. The bike came with cream color fenders against a "champagne" color frame. Looks so nice that way! In spite of y'all telling horror stories and giving warnings about the dreaded fender mishaps, still wondering if I can get away with it. Thoughts?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
as long as you beef up the fender supports they should be fine. you can get some Wald fender struts for cheap, and that should do it.

if you want a vintage looking cranbrook, use it for a boat anchor in the atlantic for a coupla weeks...;)

Doktor Puttz

Nov 14, 2009
Florida
The struts are not stamped metal cheapies. They are round rod, chromed, attached with bolts and backing plates. I feel pretty good about them.

Soon as I can post pix, I'll put some up. Hope to be done with the build in couple days.

doc
;)

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Doktor, does the front wheel have 2 braces up to the fender, or only one? If only one, it will not matter if tin, wire, or structural steel, you will find that you need 2 braces on the front fender, in addition to the tab.

As we have seen here, there are 2 ways to decide if you need 2 braces, the easy way and the hard way.

Those who have chosen the hard way will never forget it, including Cliff in Fairfield CA who got a trip to the Hospital, and some painful recovery time.

As always, the choice is yours.

Mike

Doktor Puttz

Nov 14, 2009
Florida
Mike....point taken, I like to err on the side of caution. The front fender has 2 tabs going both sides of the fork arch, and the rods on either side at 3-o-clock position on the trailing side. Top of fender hangs out only a couple inches past the forks and is surrounded by a caliper brake I added for extra stoppage. It's also a stamped fender with ridges and grooves along both edges for stiffness. I'm more confident about that design than the thin rolled fenders you see sometimes. Just the same, when I get the bike finished and take a couple of "shakedown" rides I'll be watching the whole setup for drift and will remove them ASAP if they appear to wobble too much at speed. My old guy bod is sorry enough without adding more injuries.

Doc

Doktor Puttz

Nov 14, 2009
Florida
Well...being a Florida guy, I went to West Marine!
First pic: Flipped the clamps on the seat mount to make the seat sit lower on the post.

2nd pic: Used a 1" boat rail straight socket mount. Works with the frame angle just right. (You can also get them in 60-degree tilt.) Held in place with 4 heavy duty stainless rubber sheathed clamp/clips (Ancor Marine), high grade bolts and globs of threadlock.

3d pic: Seat post held in place by 2 socket set screws on the rail mount. I figgered if they will hold you hangin' over the boat rail in a gale, it'll hold my lardazz on the bumps. So far, ees good.

Doc

Attachments

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi guys, in the interest of fairness, I do not see any "antique" or even remotely "board track" aspects to Doc's build. I think it would be a positive thing to clean this thread, and move it into the category it would most closely align with?

Below I will include (to be easily deleted later if the thread moves) an example of a Vintage, or antique bike, and a Board track type bike.

Stay well! I'm home with nasty cold myself.

Mike

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I think that if the good Doktor intends to make his ride as "old school" as possible than it really doesn't matter. Granted - it's "just" a fine lookin' Huffy ATM, but perhaps it's not done yet? (not that they ever are lol). I wouldn't be at all surprised if putin' it together and gettin' it going then worrying about "vintage" decorative aspects like a custom tank was the plan... perhaps inquiring about that first woulda been appropriate.

Perhaps not - plans often change when smacked with reality, either way moving a thread/changing a title is easy and we do it all the time when we think it needful, all ya hafta do is ask.

I would rather we kept the "minimoding" to a minimum, feel free to PM me or any other mod anytime if you think something needs changing or an alteration made - it's way too easy to hurt peoples feelings else wise.