weed whacker that runs more or less

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My plan right now is to mount the whole thing engine, chain, and wheel into a single unit then hang the whole thing from the bike.

Sort of like Joe's bike bug but rear engine. Since i am not performance driven the simplicity of upkeep is the draw to these engines. Get it all in one place and just change out modules,

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well I don't have the sprocket for the weed whacker yet, but I spent the afternoon (well a couple of hours anyway) devising the mount using the rear wheel from a scooter as the friction drive wheel. The sprocket is due here on tuesday so hopefully by the end of the week this will be a running bike again.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
i wondered if anyone has ever tried to use one of these motors on a bike? looks like not a bad price for this engine.
47cc Engine Complete
That is an excellent price . I got a cast off 32 cc weed eater that needs a magneto. $50.00 factory replacment or a hall effect ignition $ 60.00
I may just throw away the 32 cc motor use this motor in a spad
Free Plans
ultra spad stick made of coro or big pink made of pink foam sheets

Cough or - I may also make a super inexpensive rack mount friction drive using a BMX footpeg as a drive spindle.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If it's a ryobi the foot peg thing will work very well except that the threads will cause it to unwind as it runs. Best to drill a hole for a pin to keep it in place.

If its a craftsman it will have a shaft that is untreaded and is 11mm in diameter which is difficult to find anything to fit. That is what I have at the moment. I need to ride out to the small engine shop to see what the poulan/weed eater has or the homelite. I think the homelite might be the craftsman but I'm not sure. Either way they work just not as fast as your china bike.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
After a really bad start I got the weedwacker sprocket onto the drive shaft and it still turns. I have no idea whether it will start or not but I really haven't done anything to it to prevent it. Well just a few taps on the sprocket to get it onto the drive shaft. I do mean taps I learned my lesson with the one I bent.

After several hours of trial and error I got the engine mounted to the drive wheel nice and secure and the chain is tight. I attached it to the huffy and planned to call it a night. I couldn't help but see if I could mount the bike if the engine was running. NO... the engine sits up to high even with the 20" wheel. I do however have the old three speed step through all ready to go.

I'll have to mount the engine package onto the step through, then move the throttle over and give it a try. Half a day tomorrow at the most. It should be running or not at least I'll know tomorrow.

I might buy a chain breaker for the #25 chain so I can have a wider choice in mounts for the motor. That is if the rear scooter wheel runs out well... Wish me luck...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Help me out here guys. I been shafted, drive shafted that is.

Okay a ryobi 31cc weed whacker has a 3/8 inch drive shaft and is treaded with fine threads same as a bmx asle.

The craftsman I am messin' wid has an 11mm drive shaft and no threads. I did drill a pin hole through it and have been using a 12 mm and 13 mm attachements ie drive wheel and sprocket with shims but the shims don't hold up.

So here is the question... Do all ryobi weed whackers and blowers have the same shaft. and do any other makers use the same shaft. This craftsman doesn't for sure.

Any idea what a true weed eater's drive shaft measures.

Also do you know here i can get an 11mm spindle I have no idea what the ones on the net are nobody will tell me that sells them.

One more question If I want to make a brass shim (found out I can buy shim material on ebay) I want to go from 11mm to 12 mm how thick should the stock be since it will be wrapped around the drive shaft like a bushing.

Last edited:

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
I can see no weed whacker is safe as long as "THE DEACON" is around and that goes for pieces of pipe, 1/2 filled cans of paint and assorted blocks of wood as well.

Well summer is here and we're off on the great "SUMMER BIKE BUILD-OFF". My bike finally got here from Calif. and the motor is on the way from Canada, both originally born in China. Hows that for International flavor?

MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION I'm taking pic's with a Kodak Fun Saver camera an get back prints and a CD. Is this all I need to post pic's on the site. I don't want to know how just yet, I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it, I just want to know - yes it will work/no it won't work.

Lastly, summer lasts until Sept., Tell Uncle Kudzu I'm in the "Skunk Works" till then if he needs me and all I'll tell is the bike is a chopper/beach cruiser, w/49cc slant head motor, will be black and is named "The California Kid" after a famous black '34 Ford 3 window coupe in the late 70"s. If it turns out like it looks in my head it'll be a "sweet piece" and we're goin' for "da prize"(c)Walter F.

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
Tell Uncle Kudzu I'm in the "Skunk Works" till then if he needs me and all I'll tell is the bike is a chopper/beach cruiser, w/49cc slant head motor, will be black and is named "The California Kid" after a famous black '34 Ford 3 window coupe in the late 70"s. If it turns out like it looks in my head it'll be a "sweet piece" and we're goin' for "da prize"(c)Walter F.
ok then, Granpa, i'm expecting greatness from your Summer build :)

boylove35

Jun 13, 2008
Hi, I ran into a little trouble yesterday mounting the clutch lever. It seems to hit the handlebar and the lock will not reach. Am I doing somthing wrong? Need HELP!!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If you are talking about the kit build, I never could get mine to work so I tossed it. I just installed a brake lever to use as the clutch lever. I had that chrome piece of garbage so It wasn't much of a loss.

Someone else might be able to help you.