Worksman bikes!

GoldenMotor.com

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I have a Worksman in the works!! Actually been riding it for about two months now. It has a 66cc Zoom motor in it, Manic Mechanic sprocket adapter with a 34T and the Spooky Tooth expansion chamber (I just love the sound of them) The bike itself is really nice, definately heavy duty. It is all lugged and the spokes are 10ga. I've been working with ACMELabs in fabbing a tank and I'll post some pics when it's complete.

skullsaw

Oct 27, 2009
Tampa,Fl.
Question, What kind of bearings come with the bike? are they sealed bearings or standard? I'm considering ordering one, but have not decided what farme style yet. I would still buy it even if the bike does not come with sealed bearings. Looks like a great buy.

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
My HD wheels came with seals bearings so I would think these do as well.
As for the frame, you could do an old upright motorbike (ca 1900) with the flat tanks if you get the larger straight bar frame.

With the Newsboy frame, you could build a traditional stripped down board track racer or upright fully dressed bike.

JMO,
Dave
KC

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
That's a great creation! I would almost just sand down all the blue-colored parts and wipe some muriatic acid on all of it and later stop the rusting process. It would really take on an old look that way. He did some really neat fab work.
I would mount the engine cyl vertically though.
Makes me tempted to build one of these early bikes. That tall Worksman frame might beg for 28" rims like on the old bicycles.
Thanks for the heads up!
Dave
KC

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Dave,

This 1908 Merkel caught my eye. Could easily see a BoardTrack or Street Bike using the straight bar industrial frame from Worksman. Do you know what the distance between the upper tubes are on the Worksman? Be interesting to develop a belt drive version as well.

Mike

1908 Flying Merkel.jpg 1908 Flying Merkel 1.jpg

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
I really like that one too. I have never seen another like it. I don't know the spacing but I'll bet it's pretty close. I'm thinking of doing a belt drive with a really low power B@S - the only way it would pull it!
Great ideas!

Dave
KC

RusticoRay

Oct 3, 2009
6mi. from the Old North Bridge
Dave,

This 1908 Merkel caught my eye. Could easily see a BoardTrack or Street Bike using the straight bar industrial frame from Worksman. Do you know what the distance between the upper tubes are on the Worksman? Be interesting to develop a belt drive version as well.

Mike

View attachment 15315 View attachment 15316
I own a INB Workman, I just measured distance of tubes is 3 3/4". That Merkel is a beauty. Puts mine in its proper place.

Attachments

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
At 3 3/4" spacing you could possibly squeeze a 3 1/2" Dia tank between the bars which is about the proportions of the Merkel.

Just a quick question, can the drive system you have attached to the engine be rotated 90 degrees clockwise. That would put the drive directly beneath the engine, just an idea I had about positioning a kit type engine and drive system where the output to the wheel is inline with the bottom bracket.

Mike

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
Mike,
Not to detract from what Ray might say but I believe the variable sheave transmissions from Comet can be mounted in about any orientation if you have clearance on the motor base, frame, etc. Mine is the 40 series and came in pieces with no backing plate or cover like the 20 series does.

I think you can take the 20 parts(smaller overall and rated up to 8HP) and treat them the same way. You can orient the parts as you wish as long as you align them as shown in the link.
Here's a couple sites that show some specs and alignment necessary.
20 Series Comet Torque Converter
Comet 40 Series Centrifugal clutches, Go Cart , Mini Baja,

Dave
KC

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Dave,

Thanks for the link, I am somewhat familiar with the torq-a-verter. What is confusing is that some of these small 50cc 4 stroke engine kits appear to have an intergal clutch mechanism built into engine such as the GRUBEE Drive kit. The one Ray has is from EZ Motorbike and is made in the USA. It appears to be similar to the comet drive but maybe custom made for the 50cc 4 stroke Honda or clone with an intergal clutch. Just a thought I had that if this kit could be rotated around where the drive is below the engine and the cover plates are dressed up a bit could be an easy start on a belt drive, stretched, Worksman Bike project.

Here is a great looking build on the EZ Motorbike site.
EZMotorbike.jpg EZMotobike 1.jpg

Mike

Reactions: Hud

RusticoRay

Oct 3, 2009
6mi. from the Old North Bridge
At 3 3/4" spacing you could possibly squeeze a 3 1/2" Dia tank between the bars which is about the proportions of the Merkel.

Just a quick question, can the drive system you have attached to the engine be rotated 90 degrees clockwise. That would put the drive directly beneath the engine, just an idea I had about positioning a kit type engine and drive system where the output to the wheel is inline with the bottom bracket.

Mike
Hi Mike, You could but the pedals would have to go if it was put on my bike.