Cheap CVT mount.

GoldenMotor.com

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I am about to finish my cvt project. I didn't take pictures along the way, but it should be fairly easy to follow anyway. I don't know how well it is going to perform but I am looking forward to it. I purchased a cheap cvt from moster scooter parts and chopped up my old hoot gear box to adapt it to the cvt to correct the rotation of the final drive sprocket for the chain. It originally turned backwards for a frame mounted engine with left drive side. Anyone ever used the Kwik Steel epoxy putty that comes in a tube? I have used quite a bit on this effort and not sure how it is going to hold up, but it seems strong so far. I'll be posting pics this weekend if everything works out.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I have to report a failure with the cvt. After many hours of adapting pieces of the hoot gearbox to the cvt and mounting it to the engine, it failed on the first test run yesterday. The great kwik steel epoxy didn't hold up. After about 2 miles, it started coming apart. Slight setback. I think I have found another way to mount it. That was a great 2 miles, though. Very quiet and enexpectedly responsive. I have to get this done so that I can stop thinking about it!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Bummer, about the epoxy not working out. Very, Very cool about it being smooth and responsive!

Is funny, eh? The whole obsession thing with building.

Overcoming Failure: Thomas Edison;
"I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward."

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I don't know if crack is this addictive.

I totally agree with ol' sparky! I am finding the ways not to mount a cvt. I honestly can't wait to get home and start working on it again.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I don't know if crack is this addictive.

I totally agree with ol' sparky! I am finding the ways not to mount a cvt. I honestly can't wait to get home and start working on it again.
LOL!!! I have an interview today for a "real" job just to further and pay for R&D for my projects. Haven't had one in 11 years.

Is really great to see all the work being done with CVTs. I honestly believe they and ebikes will hold a good deal of the market and builds in the near future. I can't remember, did you see Neat Time's thread on CVTs? Some great stuff.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I wanted to give you guys a few pics of what I have been working with. This is the adaptor for the engine and the cut up hoot gear box on the cvt. I haven't worked with it any lately, been down with my back. I will update as I get back into it. I modified my exhaust, moved the engine over about 1 inch to the right to align the sprockets and then the thing came apart. The two different pieces of cvt and gear box were held together with the epoxy. That is what I have to overcome. I am going to try and weld them together after I can move with my ailing back.

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Civlized, Hope The Back Straightens Out. Have Had 45 Yrs Of Bad Back! Can I Ask, Why You Are Doing All That Modification To The Output Shaft On The Cvt Transmission? What Are You Gaining? Ron . . .cvlt1 PS I put the dots after my name, keeps the exhaust out of my face! lol OK, I JUST READ A PREVIOUS POST OF YOURS, TO CHANGE ROTATION.

Last edited: