Neat Little Wire Harness

GoldenMotor.com

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
Have you ever wanted to wire your engine kit so it didn't look so bland? :-||

Well, I've come up with a simple harness you can build with a couple strips of pipe hanger, cable shielding and some bolts. I think it's different and it gives my bike some personality and some nice aesthetic touches (not to mention a few other perks). Let me know what you think and any other ways you have thought up to route and conceal wires.

Attachments

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Your solution looks good as long as it doesn't cause an engine cooling problem.
I'm never happy with my wiring routing and try something new at least a couple of times per month. I recently added a headlight and switch to the white wire and the wiring is bulging out of the flex conduit (need bigger conduit).

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I kind of like bringing the wire down under the motor and mounting the black box at the rear, by the carb. Seems very clean and you don't really see the wires.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I ran mine inside a short piece of aluminum tubing. I had several wires to hide. Head light, tail light, kill switch and N.O.S. system.

John

Attachments

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I ran mine inside a short piece of aluminum tubing. I had several wires to hide. Head light, tail light, kill switch and N.O.S. system.

John
John,

Nice set-up!

Is that a clausing colchester I see in the background?

And now for the Nitrous...I guess I was wrong about this. I wouldn't have figured that these engines would handle it. How often do you punch it? How much of a boost do you get?

Jim

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
John,

Nice set-up!

Is that a clausing colchester I see in the background?

And now for the Nitrous...I guess I was wrong about this. I wouldn't have figured that these engines would handle it. How often do you punch it? How much of a boost do you get?

Jim
How could you tell Jim? Yes that is a Clausing Colchester 1300. It's a very nice old machine, about a 1975 vintage. As far as the Nitrous, I haven't given it a shot yet. It is on one of my winter builds. Probably going to have to beef the thing up a bit, crank anyway.

John

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
How could you tell Jim? Yes that is a Clausing Colchester 1300. It's a very nice old machine, about a 1975 vintage. As far as the Nitrous, I haven't given it a shot yet. It is on one of my winter builds. Probably going to have to beef the thing up a bit, crank anyway.

John
"How could you tell Jim?"

The large headstock, and the classic Colchester rotary spindle speed selector. A fine lathe indeed!

I've got an old Hercules SAG-14, it's 14 X 40...It's an Italian lathe that was re-branded "Hercules" for the U.S. market. I need to get it set-up with a collet closer for small work, other than that it's a fine machine!

Keep me posted on the Nitrous!

Best Regards,

Jim

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
"How could you tell Jim?"

The large headstock, and the classic Colchester rotary spindle speed selector. A fine lathe indeed!

I've got an old Hercules SAG-14, it's 14 X 40...It's an Italian lathe that was re-branded "Hercules" for the U.S. market. I need to get it set-up with a collet closer for small work, other than that it's a fine machine!

Keep me posted on the Nitrous!

Best Regards,

Jim
Jim, Here is a better picture of the old lathe, and another picture in the mini shop. I have alot of equiptment in a small area. I have to have it very organized.

John

Attachments

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
That is very nice and clean looking, good job!!

John
Yes it is...

Nice shop John!

I've got to get mine cleaned-up and re-organized. I've bought more stuff and it's time to re-think the shop layout.

Brett Maverick and I are going to build a CNC plasma table. He has the plans, and has sourced all of the components. He's been working on this for a year and now has the money to do it. I'm going to help him in any way I can, and then we'll have this capability too. I'm hoping that by being so diverse I won't go under in this crazy economy. We'll see what happens!

By-the-way, I have a Hardinge AHC Super Precision chucker that I am parting out. Someone had already robbed enough parts to make it too costly to put back in service. If you know anyone up your way that is running one or more of these machines, let them know I have parts. It's the newer style AHC.

Jim

Last edited:

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Yes it is...Nice shop John!I've got to get mine cleaned-up and re-organized. I've bought more stuff and it's time to re-think the shop layout.Brett Maverick and I are going to build a CNC plasma table. He has the plans, and has sourced all of the components. He's been working on this for a year and now has the money to do it. I'm going to help him in any way I can, and then we'll have this capability too. I hoping that by being so diverse I won't go under in this crazy economy. We'll see what happens!By-the-way, I have a Hardinge AHC Super Precision chucker that I am parting out. Someone had already robbed enough parts to make it too costly to put back in service. If you know anyone up your way that is running one or more of these machines, let them know I have parts. It's the newer style AHC.Jim
Jim, I know what you mean about the crazy economy! I just retired in June and have watched a good portion of my lifetime 401K SHRINK! As long as the wife keeps her job I will be o.k. I hate to think about going back to work for someone, I am having way to much fun with these MB's!!!

John Oh, I will ask around about the Hardinge.

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
You all have very professional looking set ups!!! I like them a lot, I'm impressed!!! Unfortunately, I don't have a milling machine or an engine lathe to work with or room to store it. I noticed some of you have painted your engines and added art like Retmachinist(I like how he resurfaced the metal). What's the best paint to use on these engines?

Last edited:

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
You all have very professional looking set ups!!! I like them a lot, I'm impressed!!! Unfortunately, I don't have a milling machine or an engine lathe to work with or room to store it. I noticed some of you have painted your engines and added art like Retmachinist(I like how he resurfaced the metal [probably with an end mill]). What's the best paint to use on these engines?
I used high temp BBQ satin black. Its cheap and you can find it about anywhere. It should hold up pretty well. I think the next one I will use a color. I was always partial to the old chevy orange blocks. Oh, the metal work you saw on the side covers, That is very easy to do. Did it in the drill press with 1/2 inch circles I punched out of 320 grit sand paper.

John

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
I was looking at the auto parts store in town and I saw spray paint in various colors (Chevy Orange too) that could withstand 1500°F and be used on exhaust manifolds [that's what the label said]. Its made with some kind of ceramic material. I didn't buy it, I wanted to see what your opinions were first... Hey John, you'll have to show me how you hooked up a drill press to do that....I don't have a 1/2 inch punch...I guess it wouldn't be hard to use an old compass with a 1/4 inch radius and then cut out the sand paper.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I was looking at the auto parts store in town and I saw spray paint in various colors (Chevy Orange too) that could withstand 1500°F and be used on exhaust manifolds [that's what the label said]. Its made with some kind of ceramic material. I didn't buy it, I wanted to see what your opinions were first... Hey John, you'll have to show me how you hooked up a drill press to do that....I don't have a 1/2 inch punch...I guess it wouldn't be hard to use an old compass with a 1/4 inch radius and then cut out the sand paper.
Thanks for the info. about the chevy orange high temp paint. I can send you a bunch of the little sanding disks since you don't have a punch. I will even include a small arbor to run them on. I can stick that stuff in a bubble envelope and send them to you if you want to e-mail me your address. That is what this site is for to help others out.

John

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I solder all connections, shrink wrap them and then hide them in corrugated conduit.

Here is what my harness looks like:
donuts31 - Cool set up.

NICE wire harness!

Sweet front mount.

However, I notice that your Shift Kit is not properly installed. Your 44T goes outside of the freewheel flange. You will be unable (or it will be difficult) to get the chain properly aligned as designed. Pretty simple to remedy if you have a crank puller.

Paul