winter 2013,4

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I just finished a terrific snow commute. Though this was on my pedal bike, not my motorized bicycle.

I've decided to avoid the motorized bike in snowy or icy conditions.

Next Monday our forecast high is -3 deg F. Forecast low into Tuesday morning is -12. That might just be too much. I pride myself on being pretty immune to the cold on a bike. But at about zero I'm having a fairly hard time of it. It's still do-able. But take away 12 more deg and I just don't think I can do it.

Though maybe I ought to try, just to find out.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Minus 35 last night and minus 39 tonight. Been going through a lot of firewood to heat this old trailer.

I think nisiiyaymuckwaawug (our elder brothers the bears) have it right... pig out in the fall and eat all you want, then take nap to sleep it off and wake up slim and hungry in the spring time. I could make that work...

Been sick with chest flu for going on seven weeks now. The brutal cold does not help. But this old bear is getting better slowly. Stay warm, stay well.
SB

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Hey Walter...
Just popping my head in the door to say hi and hope you get better soon.
You can come back to MD and enjoy balmy 25 degree nights..

I haven't been around in awhile but sure miss your way with words. Take care bud.

TiM

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
It's a bone chilling 52 degrees outside at midnight here. Only gonna just make it to 81 degrees tomorrow. I gotta go chop some firewood now. I might even put a coat on. LOL

jonnyp929

Apr 15, 2013
New York City
Minus 35 last night and minus 39 tonight. Been going through a lot of firewood to heat this old trailer.

I think nisiiyaymuckwaawug (our elder brothers the bears) have it right... pig out in the fall and eat all you want, then take nap to sleep it off and wake up slim and hungry in the spring time. I could make that work...

Been sick with chest flu for going on seven weeks now. The brutal cold does not help. But this old bear is getting better slowly. Stay warm, stay well.
SB
wow. -30 is just unimaginable for me.

hope you feel better!

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
It's getting so bad here that I had to drive my car to work today. It wasn't actually too cold. 15 deg F or somewhere near there. But it had snowed overnight and the roads were simply too dangerous to be on a bike.

Tonight it's supposed to go to -3 deg with a nasty wind chill factor. I could even ride a bike in that. I've done it. But even a die hard like me will admit that it's not a lot of fun at those temps. Not as bad as people think, maybe. But not all that enjoyable, either. It's hard to actually be comfortable. And some of the fun is lost when you're worried about blow-outs because of frozen tires. (Even though I know that that's highly unlikely or even impossible. I still worry about it. Or about some part snapping, etc.)

Then over the next couple of days it's supposed to get even colder. Cold enough that I'll be afraid to let my wife and children drive themselves around. I'll feel the need to be with them. So, more driving.

The last two winters were so mild that they were open season for me and my bike. But I remember before that; in January I'd get in 2 or 3 rides. Otherwise it was the car. I'd console myself with the ideas that I had a climate control system at my fingertips. And that the physical effort of the day ended when I walked out of work. And that I'd get home earlier and could sleep a bit later because I could leave later. And that was enough to make it okay. I didn't mind it.

I guess I'd better get back into that state of mind.

But.......February, please come quickly.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Don't you wish you had Al Gore's telehone number? I do. I'd call and ask him how much money he made from that bam-boozel movie he made. Probably enough to heat his five homes and keep fuel in his limos and private jets. I'd like to see if he'd help pay my utility bills this winter. Last month? $423.00.
Global Warming. What a crock!

Tom