Home-made lower faring (or splash/wind guards)

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I made a set of splash guards for my bike today. It's an idea I've been pondering for a while. With winter coming on, it's time to get it done.

There's not much point in my giving a close description of the structure since no one is going to have a front end just like mine. But anyone who wants a set of their own could use this as a rough idea and modify.

I don't think the materials cost more than $10.

I decided on three mounts per side for the frame. Top is right out at the end of my light bar. Middle is on a strut that I added a while back to give the front basket more support. Lower is on the fender stay.

Then I attached 1 x 2 wood strips to the two lower mounts to extend the reach out as far as the light bar. A strip of 3/16 x 1/2 steel forms the outer edge of the frame.

Bare frame 3.jpg

For the covering I used tarp. I decided on a double thickness since the stuff is kinda cheap and one thickness might not stand up to freezing wind all that well.

To fasten the covering down I simply folded over, around the frame and supports, and 'bolted' it together with machine screws and washers.

fabric mount.jpg

I didn't expect it to be real good looking. Not a 'boiler plate' rig like this. And it's not. But I'll sacrifice looks for practicality.

I took it out for a spin after getting it finished. Wearing just tennis shoes, light socks and light cotton pants I couldn't feel any wind on my legs or feet.
I'll bet I can take just about anything that winter throws my way now.

front view.jpg

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
You know you got space on that light bar for one or two more lights right? Why stop at just seven? Go big or go home. LOL

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
You know you got space on that light bar for one or two more lights right? Why stop at just seven? Go big or go home. LOL
LOL

I know.......it looks peculiar.

Until you find yourself riding someplace where it really is dark. Then it's hardly enough.

And I might squeeze a couple more in there for real.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
LOL

I know.......it looks peculiar.

Until you find yourself riding someplace where it really is dark. Then it's hardly enough.

And I might squeeze a couple more in there for real.
I gots 7" of night-into-day LED off-road headlight hooked to a 12V Lithium Ion motorcycle battery in the black box underneath it. Lasts about a week before you need to recharge it.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Impressive light.

Also I just finished a rainy, dark commute. I didn't finish it, actually, but more on that later. The splash guards did their job beautifully. It was really raining, but my feet and lower legs stayed much more dry than they would have otherwise. So.......Success!

But I was riding along and, from one moment to the next, lost the engine completely. No fire whatsoever. When I got stopped I checked to make sure I hadn't lost all my fuel or something like that. That was okay. So it's clearly a spark issue.

My suspicion? Water got into the kill switch and shorted it out. I don't think the magneto got soaked because I've got that pretty well protected.

Tomorrow morning and all day are supposed to be plenty rainy. So I guess it'll be a car day for me. Then tomorrow evening or Friday evening I'll look into my spark issue. It should be simple.

It really, really was raining today. Something got wet.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Blue,
I hope you get the electrical issue figured out. I'm sure you will.
As for the fairings; I wish I had your tolerance for cold wet weather. Instead of braving it like you do and designing things to ward off the elements, I just stay indoors and don't ride. "You're a better man than I Gunga Din"

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Thank you, 2 door.

But the fact is that I'm a cold weather wimp. But I'm also determined to avoid my car as much as possible. The combo is enough to make me look for ways to protect myself against weather.

It's worth it.

I'll be leaving for work shortly. By car. I'm trying to remember when was the last time. I'm drawing a blank. It hasn't been years since. But I suppose it's been months.

Not bad, huh?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
I am a cold weather wimp to that's why I moved to the Caribbean lol. I can ride my motorized bicycle anytime I want
dunt

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Your weather guard reminds me of the front of a Honda cub. I hated arriving at my destination with frozen thighs.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yep. Those legs can get mighty cold on an motorized bicycle. I'm determined to face whatever weather mother nature chooses to throw at me. I have a lot of experience with it, as a matter of fact. And I rarely lose. But I'm not too proud to use a shield, either.

I'm sure these splash guards will help. That is, once I get my bike running again.

Today I rode my regular pedal bike to work. Almost immediately I started having trouble with the handlebars moving back and forth in the gooseneck. Most uncool. And unsafe. I knew this day was coming. The handlebars are quite old and the knurling of the mount has pretty well worn away. But they're among my favorites, so I was reluctant to give up on them.

But my schedule today got me home with almost an hour of daylight left. So I went straight to my motorized bicycle. I reached down to the CDI and clipped off one of the wires for my kill switch. Still no spark.

So I had to give that up and get my pedal bike together. I changed out the handlebars. I guess the old ones need nothing but a decent funeral now. It's a bit sad.
But at least I have one bike running for tomorrow.

I have a spare CDI and magneto. So I'll do that troubleshooting on the weekend.

I've been known to bring my bikes into the kitchen, or even the living room, in darkness, deep freeze, rain, etc., for repairs.

But it annoys my kids and enrages my wife. So I keep it to a minimum.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Your weather guard reminds me of the front of a Honda cub. I hated arriving at my destination with frozen thighs.
The weather protection on those was good too. I owned various models of stepthru Hondas during my twenties and I always liked them. Trouble is they're considered to be a 'classic' now and ones in good condition change hands for silly money $$$$$$ (sigh).

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'm pretty sure I've heard of the Honda Cub. But I'm drawing a blank on it.

I figured that you had provided a link to a photo, Intrepid Wheelwoman. But it looks like that goes to a photo of a Solex.

So now I'm confused.

It looks like tomorrow is going to be a rainy commute for me, by the way. I'm looking forward to continuing to test out my new equipment.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
BlueGoat-Another good material for those splash guards might be coroplast. The cheapest source of coroplast is political campaign signs. Just pull them up after AFTER the election, and make sure there is not going to be a runoff.
I learned about corrugated plastic when reading about DIY velomobile bodies. They take a recumbent trike, make a frame with 1/4" PVC and attach the coroplast sheets with zip ties, glue or whatever. Should be easy to make a mini fairing with it if these guys can make velomobile bodies with it. Link to a coroplast velomobile build is below.
http://diyvelomobile.blogspot.com/

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
It's not a bad idea, Wheelbender.

You're talking about the stuff that's constructed just like cardboard, but with plastic instead of paper?

I imagine it would stand up to the elements pretty well.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Exactly. It's water proof and easy to cut. It resists ripping, so you can lace pieces together with zip ties.
I've heard that you can buy sheets of it at Office Max if you have no elections scheduled soon,
I'm going to try some small project with it before attempting a velomobile body.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
That stuff might also be good for making fenders. I could make it fit exactly right in those low-clearance spots.

Plus one could make those cool wrap-around fenders like you see in Ludwig IIs photos of classic motorized bicycles. The edges would have to be hidden somehow. But that can be worked out.

Chain guards, too.

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois
I tough it out. Thermal long johns, sweat pants and blue jeans. Two pairs of socks and leather boots. I've yet to have cold legs and feet. But you have a good idea there, Blue, for those who don't want to go my route.