415 chain removal tool

GoldenMotor.com

JaxInsany

May 6, 2013
Portland, OR
Hello to the forums! Does anyone know what tool to use for removing links of the chain? A usual bike chain removal tool does not work at all. Also, does anyone know where to get said tool?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
If you have a Tractor Supply Center in your area you can get one that works on your motorbike chain.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I don't use a chain breaker. I have a punch and a hammer. The punch needs to be just a little smaller in diameter that the pins and I use a small socket to support the chain and drive the pin out as far as it needs to go to seperate the link.
Reassembly is just the opposite procedure. Drive the pin back in until it seats evenly on both sides. No grinding and no chain breaker (tool) needed.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
yep, bought a used one of those 40 some years ago and used it several times a week in the cycle shop on everything from 430 to 630 chain - still works fine

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois
The only downfall it has is it doesn't push the pin all the way through. You either have to go to the other side or to the adjacent pin. But it still gets the job done.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
That chain breaker on Ebay looks like the one I got from a motorcycle store. They told me it would work on my #35 chain for my motor bike. The tool pin pushes the chain pin not all the way through as the tool pin is too large. Forcing it any would either break the tool or deform the chain. I may see if I can get one that is exactly right and does work on #35 chain. Temporarily I used the tool and also a center punch and a vise.

I am using a master link and not putting the pin back in, but if I to were to reuse the pin would it be possible to re-flatten out the ends of the pin? I suspect there is a fair amount of friction without that rivet type end on the pin, but you don't want a chain to come apart!

If you grind the edges of the chain pin it would seem there would not be enough material to flatten the ends of the pin to keep it better secured. I suspect you can get a new pin and not reuse the old pin, so keeping some on hand if not using a master link might be what I could do.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have sometimes found a small washer under the chain on the bottom of the tool can help get that last little bit for a clean break. Depends on the tool and pin length.
Worth a try if practical on your tool.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The washer idea is a good idea. I figured besides the vise set at the correct width opening was sort of marginal, but a washer of the right size used underneath could work. I have some metal stock that I may drill a proper size hole in for the pin to go into.

If I get a foundry going I could cast the form of the chain and also drill underneath as mentioned about. Really though just something to keep the chain steady without deforming it as you use a center punch and a recess for the pin to go into.

MT