Breaking News

GoldenMotor.com

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
Be careful out there...

Man killed after crashing motorized bicycle, 85 yrs. old, no helmet ... http://www.wmbb.com/story/22911409/florida-highway-patrol-identifies-traffic-fatality-victim

www.wmbb.com

UPDATE: The Florida Highway Patrol has identified the man killed in a traffic accident in Southport as 85-year-old Linwood Railey Shiflett.

According to the release from the FHP, Shiflett was traveling on 4th Street in Southport east of 4th Circle on a gas-powered motorized bicycle. Shiflett lost control of the bicycle, overturned and struck the roadway. He was pronounced dead at the scene by Bay County EMS.

Shiflett was not wearing a helmet at the time. The investigation is continuing.

===

I'm no one to judge who should or should not be on one of these creations, just passing the news on as it relates to our hobby. Gotta hand it to the guy though, he died "in the pursuit of Happiness..." That's how I wanna go.

(My wife said I could have a motorbike as long as I wear a helmet. She says, "I'd rather visit you in the hospital than have to identify you in the morgue." So I do wear one, not a bad idea either, especially considering this story. Just my two cents)

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Yikes. That's a damn shame. Seems like too many of us two wheeled guys, both motorcycle, bicycle, and motorbicycle, have to die by our own hand or someone else's. :(

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Experiencing a crash myself I know how quickly and unexpectedly it can happen. I was wearing a full face, DOT approved helmet that never touched the ground but I'm still mending from that Father's Day event.

Very sorry to hear of that poor man's tragedy. I hope there are no legal repercussions from it that will reflect on the hobby. Accidents happen. Age and experience don't always prevent them.

Be careful out there, guys. Really careful.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
You could be run over by an 18 wheeler, and they would still say "he wasn't wearing a helmet."

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
It's a crying shame. I'm so sorry for this guy and his loved ones.

Unless I'm right in my own neighborhood going no faster than I would on a pedal bike, I wear a helmet. Also stout boots that cover my ankles plus knee and elbow pads.

Even these won't fully protect me from anything that might happen. But I figure they're likely to reduce my chances of broken bones or worse.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I think 2door had a fender incident? Hope you're healing.......this guy was 85 and still getting after it..wow.....hope I am too at that age...we get frail as we age