Wide crank for 29ers??

GoldenMotor.com

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
I have the astra and I am rebuilding it. I'm putting a 4 stroke on it and wondering if the wide crank kit the vendors sell will fit my BB?

Sry if the question seems silly.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm not sure if an American style BB will fit, but it should be pretty easy to install a Eupropean style sealed BB with as a 3 piece crank set up.

This is what my Kent Bicycle BB looks like.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I have the astra and I am rebuilding it. I'm putting a 4 stroke on it and wondering if the wide crank kit the vendors sell will fit my BB?

Sry if the question seems silly.
Chances are that it will fit but it depends on the vendors particular wide crank kit as there are a few different types. Is the kit from bicycle-engines.com, ebay, bgf, bikeberry or Phantom Bikes? A little more info would help.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I don't have the Astra but do have the Onyx and the supplied wide crank set worked and fit fine. The sprocket is much bigger diameter than the OX sprocket so I had to buy a longer chain and with the big wheels the thing is really hard to pedal. That may not be a problem on the Astra if they use a gear set on the rear wheel. But as to fit it works.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
I'm not sure if an American style BB will fit, but it should be pretty easy to install a Eupropean style sealed BB with as a 3 piece crank set up.

This is what my Kent Bicycle BB looks like.

To minimize the confusion that bottom bracket is an ISO/English or BSA (1.375/1.370 inches X 24tpi), as opposed to the Italian 36mm X 24tpi, French 35mm X 25.4tpi or Swiss 35 X 25.4tpi.

You can convert an American style BB to fit an ISO/English sealed cartridge BB, but you can't convert a ISO/English BB to the American style BB, unless someone knows of a kit.

Sick Bike Parts has ISO/English sealed cartridge BB in 131.5mm, 153mm and 206mm spindle lengths.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
An additional note here; I have found with running 49cc Honda and HS 4-strokes on similar Kent Bicycles that if you use the Sick Bike Parts ISO/English sealed cartridge BB with 206mm spindle, you can use the stock crank arms that come on the bike instead of using the cheap, short, dog-legged steel cranks supplied with most kits. A little grinding may be required however.