Honda GC 160 granade

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I was warned that the GC series Hondas do not like to rev and that will let go if run hard. The pictures are worth a few words. This motor was on my sons board-track bike with a jackshaft setup. Last week we rode and raced each other along the coast... That motor floats the valves bad if pushed...so today he was riding it after school and this is the result....

What motor next? I just love the way the GC series looks buttttt

Attachments

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
hard to see what actually happened but....wouldnt a set of stronger valve springs maybe stop the float which might have resulted in the piston being slapped by them and grenading?..just a thought

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
i think if you stay with the cvt it keeps the motor from overreving im not getting any valve float and im not going to baby the engine after seeing yours blow but know that all always be thinking about it every time im hauling ass!!

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Glen, you are right about the cvt and the GC 160. That's what I run on my bike. From what I can see or think is that the valve broke and went into the piston, or it floated and hit the piston and broke. My son said he was doing about 35 when it went.

I sure liked the looks of that motor in the bike. I have a worn out cvt that we might install with a new motor.

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Is the older CB single overhead cam version of the engine available in your area? I rode a CB125 for some years as my regular transport ride and it was totally stone reliable. I know the CB125's were supposed to be bad for wearing out the camshaft bearing surface, but I just ran really good quality oil in my bike and changed it regularly and i never had any problems.

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
he is lucky a valve didnt shoot out and go though his leg.... you need to feather the throttles on these things any motor does not like high rpm for more than a few seconds..