How can I protect rubber fuel hose against heat damage?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I just got a new exhaust pipe from Arrow Cycles. It will only mount in one position, and its right against my fuel lines. There isnt really anything I can do to move the fuel lines out of the way, so I need to insulate between the pipe and the fuel lines somehow. I am open to all suggestions, especially inexpensive ones. I think exhaust wrap would probably do the trick, but I have to wait two weeks to be able to get any. Is there any cheap alternatives?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I got it figured out, but the pipe is close to the fuel lines in two places. I have an oversized gas tank that is what i guess you would call "tunnel" style? and there is a section of fuel lines connecting the two sides of the tunnel. the head pipe is right up against that section of fuel line. Nowhere to reroute it to. The other place is where my fuel line attaches to my carburetor. even if I could re-route the fuel line, it wouldnt change anything. its not right up against, but its not very far either. I happened to have some fiberglass cloth left over from last year, so I wrapped a couple layers of that around the fuel lines where the pipe is close to it. Problem solved.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

You can try to make a heat shield from an aluminum can...Be sure to leave a small air gap between the fuel line and the aluminum and it should work fine.

Hope this helps you.

Andrew