tig welding stock alum intake manifold

GoldenMotor.com

ERV JR

Jul 15, 2012
whittier Ca
has anyone tried it ? I tried it with my extra in hopes of adding material to some areas to allow me to port it in the shape i had planned.
Well its some very poor material and pops more than anything cast I have ever welded . Its tiem to buya billiet

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
you might be able to tig it by pre heating it and using a lower amperage setting. You might be able get it to weld a little better with some preheating. best way to preheat aluminum is make a nice sooty acetylene flame and coat the part with soot, then make a neutral flame with a oxy torch and heat the part until the soot burns off. then the aluminum if preheated just about perfectly.

ERV JR

Jul 15, 2012
whittier Ca
you might be able to tig it by pre heating it and using a lower amperage setting. You might be able get it to weld a little better with some preheating. best way to preheat aluminum is make a nice sooty acetylene flame and coat the part with soot, then make a neutral flame with a oxy torch and heat the part until the soot burns off. then the aluminum if preheated just about perfectly.
it is only 3/132 to 1/8 thick ,there should be no reason to preheat. U should see what happens it doesent really pool just pops