Suggestion for New Sub-Forum?

GoldenMotor.com

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Can we have an entire subforum called "Help, my engine won't start"

Am I the only one who is tired of the repetitive posts regarding engine start problems?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yer sayin' they're not havin' a problem that hasn't been had before? That they're not a beautiful and unique snowflake? That they might be the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, that we are all part of the same compost pile?

lol - I don't think a separate subforum for just that one issue would help any, Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting pretty much covers it in any case. Sometimes a bit of individual attention helps a lot anyway, diagnostics can be tricky even for the experienced & havin' folks try and help you specifically can be reassuring, even if it doesn't sort the problem out ;)

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i think the problem is the opposite. there are way way too many sub forums. they don't know where to post.
also there is a problem by making a newbie area. that it is less likly that people that can help will see questions.
the administration here seems big on being able to exchange information.

an alternative idea would be to make new users have to do a search before they make a new thread.

we were all noobs once.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
"Need another subforum vs too many subforums" heh, perhaps this illustrates some of the difficulties with trying to appease everyone rotfl

What we're shootin' for is a lil something for everyone, regardless of mechanical or forum experience. While we appreciate a lil bit of effort the administration doesn't mind if you post motorbicycle related topics in 'General Discussion' or seek a more specific section for example. If do we spot a thread that would be better served elsewhere, we move it w/a temp redirect ofc.

One of the things we very much discourage are cries of "use the search n00b" & while it would be nice if more folks did as so much has already been covered in great detail, such outright dismissal of a new member is honestly extremely rude... setting it as an automatic feature would be almost as bad, personally I'm not a fan of such mandatory redirects & constraints - there's places I've not bothered to join due to such. Linking to a previously explained solution is far more effective (leadin' by example n'all), but if that's too much bother... well, mebbe that's why they didn't look either lol

While redundant questions are redundant :p often a new member joins after they've gotten most of their first bike built, flustered and anxious because they've encountered a problem and/or stoked because they've found something "new" they wish to share - they'll post a thread in their excitement despite the fact it may well have become "old hat" to our more experienced folks... TBH I'd hate to quash such enthusiasm with formalities.

There's also the fact that the more basic questions provide an opportunity for our less experienced members to try and help, to try and return the assistance they've received, to feel like they're contributing - which they are ;)

Interestingly - both rules 2 & 3 cover the suggestions regarding search: http://motorbicycling.com/f21/please-read-these-simple-rules-2.html

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
As always, I agree with every body, every where, about every thing. (and if elected, I will continue to endeavor in pursuit of this happenstance and venture in as much as is practble)

But this made me think of the link you posted Decoherence. It had me laughing out loud and holding my sides.

Let me google that for you

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
thanx dan.
i got that from my one my other forums. most of us there know each other in real life so we can get snarky & elitist.

i know this forum is more open.
it just is kind of hard to not to say something when you see someone doesn't know how to help them self. the many people here that help others have a lot of patience.