cycling safety vest

GoldenMotor.com

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I've found road-construction clothing works very well for biking. I have a Komatsu-branded jacket, which is neon yellow with reflective strips. Not only that, but it is light-weight and has protective padding in it.

This one is a bit heavier, but looks similar without the pants:

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I bought a construction safety vest that is like all the above. The one I got is bright yellow, with stripes over each shoulder that go down the the waist where another goes around the waist. Its a vest with a vneck. Its velcroed at the shoulders, side of the waist, and in the front. The front velcro is what i use to put it on. I tried it out last night, riding to walgreens to get a some meds, and people really noticed me in the bike lane. They would give me a comforting birth of like 2-4 ft even thought road was only 2 lanes. 1 each way. I was riding my bike while my sister jogged. I recommend anybody that is riding, walking, jogging, skateboarding, etc. to get one of these. It may save your life one day. The reflector tape on these is extremely impressive!! The can see me from nearly 3/4 of a mile away. It's a bit big on me but it fits well enough that it's not going to come off or bother me. I feel safer at night when wearing it. When a cars light shines on my back, I can see the glow on my shoulders.

Last edited:

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
I wear a bright yellow reflective coat and a flashing light on my bag and they still don't see me (at least on my bicycle) maybe on my motorbicycle i look a little different so they actually see me.

I used to work for a fellow who thought that if you wear bright colored things they would panic and hit you because they tense up.(I always thought he was a little crazy)

mike