i need some advice on a morini engine setup

GoldenMotor.com

beavisthejedi

Feb 12, 2011
missouri
Im going to invest in one of these morini engines from pirates cycles and was wondering what model of exaust to use and also i plan on running 26 inch wheels so what size rear sprocket do most people run with a morini engine? Is a standard 44 tooth fine? thanks for any advice.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Im going to invest in one of these morini engines from pirates cycles and was wondering what model of exaust to use and also i plan on running 26 inch wheels so what size rear sprocket do most people run with a morini engine? Is a standard 44 tooth fine? thanks for any advice.
You could hit 50 mph plus with that but it wont be a fast take off youll probably have to pedal -also going into a wind you wont reach your power band-- i dont--im running 62 tooth and it is very quick on the take off and 40 mph to sometimes 45 and goes great into very stiff winds which we get lots of here.

Last edited:

beavisthejedi

Feb 12, 2011
missouri
Ok thanks for the info on the gearing another thing I forgot to mention is my scrawny butt weighs about 150 also so it dont take a lot of low gearing on takeoffs for me.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
I already have a 50 tooth for my build this summer, what is everones opinion (that have experienced diff sprockets with a morini) on that size, im thinking i need to go biger but im trying to not spend money on that right away, and as well how do these litle motors do down low as far is torque is concerned, is it pepier than pk80 ?(i wouldn't think so due to the difference in cc)

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Your acceleration will be slow with the 40 tooth sprocket also going into a stiff wind like we often have here you will be very slow --im 200 lbs too thats a factor your hill climbing ability will be reduced ---now im using the 5.8 morini so not sure of the 9.4

ueyteuor

May 28, 2010
California
but i'll have a low gear single speed on my bike, so every time i'll take off, i'll start off by pedaling... i also am a lightweight, i weigh 125lbs... so i'm thinking the 9.4 will pull be alright, hopefully

magicalpancake

Jul 6, 2009
Denver
I got a 44 tooth on mine. Under full throttle runs slow off the line gotta peddle it pretty good up to 10-15mph then it starts pulling till about 25 then pulls hard after 30-35mph. I decided on the 44 tooth for cruising purposes which works perfect for moderate RPMS at 25-35mph =) Too bad it's so damn loud at the moment for that (save for another thread)

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
I run my S6S with a 45 tooth, I never have to pedal and I'm a 200 pounder, it's a good choice for real riding. No doubt a smaller sprocket would perk up the low speed performance a bunch, but since most of my riding is in the 30 to 40 mph range, its a good gear overall.

I do plan to experiment with a larger cog just for fun though.