#41 chain and flying horse engine?

GoldenMotor.com

Ed Marshall

Nov 17, 2010
Rockford
I've been dealing with chain problems since last fall, and I was snowed in anyway and have been sort of half getting my bike back working the last month or so. I ruined my rear wheel throwing a chain and tearing all the spokes out. The chain was damaged and I punched out the worst damaged link and replaced it with an extra master link. The wheel was replaced and a new sproket mounted, and that chain lasted for about 2 miles before it broke again.

I had seen in forums that #41 was a better replacement for many people, but I know it's slightly larger than the 415. The clearance seems tight on the 61 Flying horse that I have, is this going to work?

Ed Marshall

Nov 17, 2010
Rockford
Smaller is probably fine, I ordered 10 feet of it and a pack of master links from Amazon this morning. I was worried about bigger (someone had said that #41 was an eighth inch bigger).

Every problem I've had so far with 2-stroke bikes has been chain related in some way or another. I really hope this solves things. Thanks!

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
It should, as long as you're running that chain straight. Theoretically, a 41 chain would have more play than a 415 and may scrape the inside of the output gear housing because of side-to-side movement. It may be alarmist thinking tho, more than a few have done the swap with no problem lol

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i just put 41 on my bike. on bike chain i don't like using master links but the 41 chain breaker was $35 so i am using a master link for now. i only have been around the block a few times on it but, i really like it. the 41 has actually less tire rubbing since the wideness make the chain stiffer from bending sideways.

oh i have a gt5 if that matters.

gearhead

Mar 6, 2011
Lehigh Acres, Fl
If you're carefull you could use a bench vise and a small socket/pin as a chain break, that is if you have acces to a bench vise. Only drawback is the need to get the bike/chain within reach of the vise. Saved me from having to run out to buy different size chain breaks on a number of occasions.

Got wheels?, add motor!