Fuel in air filter and carby problems :s

GoldenMotor.com

Toffa

Mar 1, 2011
Australia
I am a beginner when it comes to engine kits. I bought a 66cc two stroke Chinese generic brand kit, and I upgraded the carb. My old carb died on me so I bought a new one. Both of the carbs had the same problem though. The fuel ran through the carb but the air filter also got drenched in fuel. Also with my carb I left it at factory settings and when I ride it I can't turn the choke lever past halfway or the engine dies. These two problems ruin performance. Also the other day I was riding home from school (15 minute ride) and I held the revs pretty constant and then the engine would bog down and then rev back up again repeatedly and then eventually die.

These three things are really ruining my riding experience and I am starting to get disappointed with this kit. Please help me. If you want to kno more about the kit just ask:-||

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if the bike needs the choke on to stay running, you have an airleak somewhere, either between the manifold and the engine, or where the carb mounts to the intake. or both.

if it's at the intake to motor connection, it's most likely a faulty gasket. they are notoriously crappy. you can buy gasket material from any auto parts store and make your own by tracing out the manifold and cutting it out. i buy the grey stuff that comes in a roll, and it's like 5 bucks or something.

if it's at the carb, there's usually an O ring inside that creates a seal between the intake and the carb. if not, auto parts store will have one. sorry, i forget the size, but if you take your old carb in, get one that fits tight inside without falling into the carb itself.

it's probably a good idea to do both of these things, but i'm guessing if it worked lousy with both carbs, it'd be at the manifold to motor connection.

as for your filter being drenched in fuel, that can be caused by an over-rich mixture, or the carb is tilted down, letting the fuel drip into the filter.

some oil is normal, as it'll "blow back" into the filter, and it should be cleaned out every few weeks, or whenever it looks soaked. just pull out the little sponge and squeeze it between some rags.

so, this brings up the questions, what mixture are you running, how level is your carb, and does the carb have an O ring in it?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
When you say sponge what are you using? These motors need to breath a restrictive type air filter hinders performance.

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
Perhaps i went to the hard ware store and bought a threaded hose connector and screwed it in now there is no fuel shut off but also no fuel issues cost under 3 bucks and its brass so it screwed into the metric threads with little persuasion

Toffa

Mar 1, 2011
Australia
I have tightened all nuts bolts screws etc and I will try it in the morning, hopefully it will be fixed. If it is a so called gasket leak then it still doesn't solve the problem about the fuel in the airfilter

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
true but a fuel starvation wouldn't either I had the cns v2 racing carb and it was junk from the get go and had all sorts of air leaking probs even after i used a liquid gasket sealer on it it wouldn't tighten up and even vibrated off going down the road on me after talking to dax he talked me into ordering the old nt carb from him saying it was a way better carb and after doing my research on here i agreed i got it today so ill try it out and hope for the best ill keep you posted

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
is it a lot of fuel or just enough to drip out of the filter now and then?

if it's actually pouring out, you could have a bad float in the carb, and it's filling up with fuel, which can cause it to pour out of the carb.

16:1 is too rich, even for break-in. the chinese use that ratio because in the old days they used straight motor oil instead of 2 stroke oil. ya figure someone at the factories would change the directions already.

24:1 is usually recommended for the first few tanks, then 32:1 after that with conventional 2 stroke oils.

the mixture gets trapped in the filter, because of the oil. if it was just straight gas, it'd evaporate, but the oil holds it in. then it'll drip out. running 16:1 will make it worse, because it's so thick it stays trapped in the filter.

with the bike idling, you can spray some carb cleaner around the intake and if the bike revs up, or sputters and dies, you have a leak. just don't spray it right into the carb or filter, or it'll stall.