My Exhaust System Destructed

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yesterday I was blazing along about 34 mph minding my own business when my exhaust system fell apart. This is the second time it's happened, but this time a weld broke inside the muffler.

Of course just like last time I ran over the muffler and ovaled it. I can repair it, but I'm thinking about modifying it a little. What if I gut it, but leave the body intact. What up if I do this? Anybody got a better idea?

I don't think I'd like it if it's going to be super loud.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I did order a SBP pipe, but I'm not done with this one yet. How's this grab ya?

I took the catalytic converter out of the stock pipe, did a little cutting on it, and stuffed it into my custom pipe. It was a slightly loose fit so I wrapped a little pipe wrap around it. It can't go past the bend in the pipe so it won't fall out.

Then I took the baffle, what was left of it, out of the stock pipe and put in the other end of my new pipe.

I'm hoping this will be quiter. It it works out I'll probably wrap it to give it that ruff tuff high performance look.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I can live with it if it's just a little louder than stock because it was pretty quite before. Performance isn't an issue, it already goes more than twice was fast as it was designed to go as a bicycle.

It's going to be a while before I can test it, because I have a broken spoke and my rear wheel looks like a fruit loop.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Now my bike's all back together. I finally got to test out my improved limp dick exhaust system for the first time since adding the cat and baffle.

Total success. It's only marginally louder than stock. Much much better than before without the baffle.

Performance felt like it's slightly improved too. Mid range felt better, and top end might be a little better also. I just got to 30 mph in one block on a flat without wind help. More testing is needed to be sure.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I guess I still need a little more tweaking to perfect my custom exhaust. Last night about 15 miles into a long ride I turned my back to a strong tail wind. My speed picked up to 35 mph. My motor was reving tighter than a cheap watch.

After about 1 minute of abuse I heard a change in the exhaust sound and my speed started dropping off a little. Eventually I looked down and saw my custom exhaust pipe wiggling back and forth. I immediately killed the motor and when on back up propulsion.

Pretty soon came to a lighted shopping area and stopped to see what might have happened. On close inspection I found that two of the three 1/4" sheet metal screws holding my muffler to the header were gone. At least this time the muffler didn't fall off and get run over again so, "improvment."

I was able to peddle about 3 miles to a friends house who gave me a couple screws to make repairs that got me home.

Apparently the screws fell out, rather than breaking. I'm going to go up one or two sizes in screw size next to try to fix this mo betta. Maybe some lock washers might help too.

Last edited: