what is a good carb

GoldenMotor.com

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"
and now i shall paraphrase from a tv show from back in the '70's...Kung Fu.....

"ah weedhopper...in your lust for speed and the assumption that bigger is always better...you are ignoreing the fact that one must crawl before he can run!".........

will it work?...did you read the discription?.....square-bore intake...are you prepared/have the ability/knowledge/access to machinery to fabricate what will be required?......

i suggest you read the threads of the "Wizzard of 2 Stroke" Foureasy...the man is incredable, talented, and a true inovator of adaptation........

my son you are causein me to have "flash-backs" to my sophmoric youth....you can't put a tunnel ram w/an 1150 dominator on a "stock 283" and expect it to be streetable......

"Weedhopper you have taxed my brain so early in the day...i shall now have to retreat to the opium den to restore my chi "......good day my son...........

Slowrollers

Sep 8, 2010
downers grove Il
SHOOT ,I just measured the maniac billet intake at 13mm... What the heck I thought it would be at least 15mm to upgrade to the 15 mm CNS carb....

It makes no sense to put a bigger carb on a smaller intake ....Your not going to achieve anything.....

Now Im a little p.o. they should have listed the size of these things and theres not much room for boreing..... Now i got a 15 dollar piece of scrap aluminum :(

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Creative has put out a billet with a bigger port for the CNS carb-

I went looking for it yesterday and queried Pirates and Creative Engineering-

no replies yet- but I believe a bigger billet has at least existed.....

But you're right about the size of the port- I've seen discussion after discussion on here that don't mention that- what good is a larger carb port on the same sized intake?

I reamed the billet I got larger- the alloy files fairly easily- so it's about 1mm increase at least- this one pictured looks like the longer version- shortened after the CNS was designed according to Pirates. The near proximity to motor DOES make a dif irregardless of port size....

The Dellorto carb looks great- but $65 before shipping?

OUCH!

still waiting to test the NTSpeed carb- the rains didn't much come- but up all night with arthritis, insomnia, neighbor attack AND the predominant class warfare. Tired. Cansado, right?

Last edited:

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
Creative has put out a billet with a bigger port for the CNS carb-

I went looking for it yesterday and queried Pirates and Creative Engineering-

no replies yet- but I believe a bigger billet has at least existed.....

But you're right about the size of the port- I've seen discussion after discussion on here that don't mention that- what good is a larger carb port on the same sized intake?

I reamed the billet I got larger- the alloy files fairly easily- so it's about 1mm increase at least- this one pictured looks like the longer version- shortened after the CNS was designed according to Pirates. The near proximity to motor DOES make a dif irregardless of port size....

The Dellorto carb looks great- but $65 before shipping?

OUCH!

still waiting to test the NTSpeed carb- the rains didn't much come- but up all night with arthritis, insomnia, neighbor attack AND the predominant class warfare. Tired. Cansado, right?
hey Kat where you live at?

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Jacksonville FL

And I forgot to mention- if you don't have a round file or small dremel- a drill bit along the sides actually works- I use a small round wood file on alloy- it wears it down- but you can get them for next to nothing.

Last edited:

Slowrollers

Sep 8, 2010
downers grove Il
Well I used a 5/8 drill bit in the drill press and that opened the port to about 14.30 mm ....There is still a little room to dremel out some more but the manifold is getting thin....

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Yeah- not too thin- I took the width of tubing at the carb end down to about half the original thickness- my pinky makes a great measuring tool. More can go on the other end, but I think it's the proximity of the carb to the motor that makes the basic difference. The CNS was shipping with that offset intake to clear the frame, that was then even LONGER than a standard intake- that HAD to offset it's performance- perhaps guys would have more luck with the CNS with the newer billet designed for it.

WOW! I ordered a short billet intake from Bikeberry on Cyber Monday- not 48 hours ago- and it came in the mail this morning! Brea CA to Jacksonville. I got it half off retail- only $7.50.

I got the old one off and the new one almost ready to install- still gotta try that NT66 Speed carb- I'm repainting and using the old round air cleaner tho, because my carb came with a boxy one, before they changed again to that wrap around type- and it just adds plastic around the top and bottom to catch the wind-

no frame clearance issues especially now with the shorter billet-

silly me had installed the older billet last year on the old studs with nuts after I couldn't get them out with channel locks- I've since discovered the "Locknut technique" works well taking the studs off too. Just lock one nut against another near the top, and turn them both simultaneously- and that turns the studs. They came out real easy! I thought that the heat had frozen them on.

So I'm ready to put the newer short billet on with the supplied allen bolts- should be clean looking and lighter in weight.

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Here's the older and new billet-

I got out a clear ruler with millimeters and carefully measured everything-
the port- the actual opening- on the NT Speed carb is 14 mm, and the old stock carb is 13mm- I believe exactly as advertised- 1 mm bigger on the newer-

the mouth of the Creative Engineering billet is exactly 14mm- I reamed the old one to 15 and the newer one to more like 14.5 mm- PROBABLY OVERKILL-

and in fact looking at it it may be better to have the 14mm sufaces match identically and perpendicular to prevent air leaks- the motor side can still be reamed slightly for more flow- the carb side is not gonna get anything.

The other thing I did was place a plastic tie BEHIND the clamp- because as I said above- it has a stop on the clamp and won't slide all the way back to totally cover the slots in the carb neck- one could file down the stop point on the carb and slide the clamp back- maybe even find a better clamp-

but this solution seems to really cover tightly the slots behind the clamp- and I've never had trouble with the clamps otherwise.

after the photo- I cut the excess tie off and you can barely notice it. Frame clearnce is even less of an issue with the shorter billet- but the float bowl is now resting right up against the cable screwdown that I already had cut down as per instructions when I put the first billet on.

So it's on and ready to test!
.santa

Attachments

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
Yeah- not too thin- I took the width of tubing at the carb end down to about half the original thickness- my pinky makes a great measuring tool. More can go on the other end, but I think it's the proximity of the carb to the motor that makes the basic difference. The CNS was shipping with that offset intake to clear the frame, that was then even LONGER than a standard intake- that HAD to offset it's performance- perhaps guys would have more luck with the CNS with the newer billet designed for it.

WOW! I ordered a short billet intake from Bikeberry on Cyber Monday- not 48 hours ago- and it came in the mail this morning! Brea CA to Jacksonville. I got it half off retail- only $7.50.

I got the old one off and the new one almost ready to install- still gotta try that NT66 Speed carb- I'm repainting and using the old round air cleaner tho, because my carb came with a boxy one, before they changed again to that wrap around type- and it just adds plastic around the top and bottom to catch the wind-

no frame clearance issues especially now with the shorter billet-

silly me had installed the older billet last year on the old studs with nuts after I couldn't get them out with channel locks- I've since discovered the "Locknut technique" works well taking the studs off too. Just lock one nut against another near the top, and turn them both simultaneously- and that turns the studs. They came out real easy! I thought that the heat had frozen them on.

So I'm ready to put the newer short billet on with the supplied allen bolts- should be clean looking and lighter in weight.
im hopein then i'll get mine today ,,down orlando way ,,as i ordered right afta you did....i should have inquired about gaskets????....guess ill have to cut my own......and i might not be able to use the intake...as i have utilized the existing cable stay....and have my roller wheel for cable mounted off the stud for the chain guard...it works to well to disassemble now!...save for the next build i guess......

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Tested it out today just a bit- mostly just to make sure she'd start-

Fired right up= just went a couple of blocks, so can't really say about any performance dif-

had to screw the idle screw in a bit-was all she needed.

added 1/10 gallon of mid-grade gas to the tank to thin the mixture down from about 20-1, because the bike had been bogging a bit on longer runs- and I'm almost never at full throttle. I read here that many are using less oil- plug was a little damp, but not fouled.

the motors probably pretty broke in so we'll just have to see what happens next time I go to Starbucks or the grocery 2-3 miles away.

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
hey kat good ya got it on!......i went for a 20 min ride in the cold air today, second tank of fuel is in...this time i used the correct oil not boat oil....4 onces to the tank...and im smokin a bit?...an when i shut down i had a drip outta the muffler!....never had that w/the boat oil on first tank?....it still ran well....i was gonna try an paint my cold air intake mod but it was way to cold .....have to hold out for another day...enjoy the week end

Elitefr

Sep 12, 2010
Pittsburgh
quick question: Should i stick with the old "speedy" carb or the newer CNS carb? bike runs well with the speedy but the CNS looks promising

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
If you searched CNS here, you'd find lots of discussion- from what I've seen and heard:
I'm not sure how long the cNS has been out- but it really became more available anda bit cheaper about a year ago- and just about the time the NT 66 Speed came out-

I was deciding then- I picked the NT Speed largely because of price dif- less than half then. Plus the CNS guys were having frame clearance problems behind the carb, and started to put that long offset intake off to the side.

that's just when I put the first billet on the old carb with great results, so my belief becamethat it helps to get the carb CLOSER to the motor. I have this 50 build coming, with the carb on steel rods right next to motor- no intake- but haven't finshed it.

Since then the CNS has seemed to fall off- prices have largely come down. Some people love them, some say the are tricky to tune.