Rear Drum Brake Sprocket Adapter?

GoldenMotor.com

73 Fat Chick

Sep 25, 2010
New Orleans
Hi Folks,
I'm brand new to motorized bikes and this is my first post.
I've been poking around on this forum for the last few weeks and all I can say is that this website is awesome. Everyone is really polite and full of unbridled encouragement. The ingeniousness of some of the OPs here is astounding. After lurking for a month or so, I am truly inspired.
That said, I just ordered a Worksman Classic Cruiser with front and rear drum brakes. I know that the nearly universal advice on this website is to go with a simpler setup for a first build, but obviously, I have completely ignored this. The quality of Worksman, along with all of the Cranboob horror stories have convinced me, for better or worse, to jump into the deep end on this.
That said, I'm sure I'll be running into lots of unexpected obstacles along the way. But that's why this site exists, right?

My questions are:

Will I be able to use a sprocket adapter (like the one sold by Manic Mechanic) on this rear drum brake setup?

Or does the rear drum brake mean that I'm stuck with the rag joint?

Or do I have to remove the drum brake altogether and have a coaster brake hub laced in it's place?

Is there some alternative for a strong, durable mb sprocket attachment that I'm not aware of?

I've tried using the search, but I haven't come across any specific/decisive threads that make this clear.
After reading threads like Das Kapitan's Chrome Worksman Build, I realize that anything's possible with enough thought, planning, motivation and grit, but I'm just curious about your thoughts on using dual drum brakes on a mb.
Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
If you think of it, most dirt bikes have used drum drakes for years. Why?
Cause they are sealed... no dirt, water, grease or oil getting in the way. Every time I see disc brakes on a dirt bike, I'm thinking.... uh, good luck stopping in the mud. So sticking with drum brakes is a good choice if your looking for reliability. I don't want to knock disc brakes though, they are by far the strongest brakes around.
As far as your sprocket problem, yes its hard to get one on there. You can see if Manic will make you an adapter, I know he still does custom work from time to time.
I am getting a set made from Sportscarpat, that have drum brakes in the front and rear. He has a special rear drum hub with an incorporated left side 45T sprocket. Talk to him if your in to replacing you rear wheel, but I would go ahead and get both front and rear if your going all out, they rock. Considering what a custom mount and sprocket would cost you, a new wheel would not be all that much more expensive. Also Pat uses Worksman wheels, "the best in the land", lol.
Good luck!

cigron

Nov 18, 2009
wormleysburg pa
You Sir are way wrong about disc brakes. Iv been riding motorcycles for over
50 years I have 200gy5 Lifan with front disc brakes the work great in all
kinds of weather I never A had disc brakes not work because of rain snow
mud or even fade because of over heating. although I had drums over heat
and fade almost nothing until they cooled. Look at all the motorcycles
they all have disc brakes as do most cars.If you get A drum brake wet
you have to drag your brakes untill they dry off or your are not going to stop.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Most of the drum brakes I've had are sealed pretty good, never had a problem getting any of my honda/kawasaki dirt bike drum brakes wet or muddy, so I never had this problem. Neither have they ever overheated, but I could see where it might happen. But then again these things are purely an opinion and personal experience difference, everyone's is different. You'll find someone that thinks the other side of the fence is greener every time! Lol. I've had both disc and drum on a lot of different bikes, there's pros and cons to both.

But we'd be wasting 73's time going back and forth on this topic, He's already purchased the Worksman with drum wheels. Which for a cruiser will be great! They will last a long time, my Worksman ice cream cart got used for almost 3 years before I serviced the brakes. Yes they were worn, but not terribly.

As far as drive train options 73, have you thought of a belt drive? I don't know what engine you are running, but replacing the output sprocket with a belt pulley could solve your problem. You can get a Whizzer belt sheave, not all that cheap but do-able non the less.
I've also seen some one run a four cross steel bracket to mount the sprocket, was a weird contraption that bolted to four places on the rim, the brackets attached to the four bolt holes on the sprocket. There was also a stabilizer sheave that attached to the spokes it was a little bigger than the sprocket. Was definitely a Whitey Wired situation. Get creative and see what you come up with, Good luck!

Last edited:

73 Fat Chick

Sep 25, 2010
New Orleans
Thanks Tad. This is very good info...

I don't have my Worksman yet (it looks like it'll be about a month and a half until it arrives), but your posts have already got me all inspired to try to piece together a custom solution. I guess that's the real appeal of these contraptions any way, right?

Once I get all of the various pieces together, I'll start a build thread and we'll see what happens.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
The biggest problem I can see with using a rear drum is the size of the thing, even a normal rag joint won't work with a drum brake hub because the center hole isn't big enough to fit over the hub. I'm not sure on Worksman hubs because I don't have one to measure but with the larger the hub the more space there is between the spokes so it may be possible to drill the spoke flange to accept a sprocket, kind of how moped sprockets are mounted.

Attachments