Muffler Blowout

GoldenMotor.com

roginc

Jul 31, 2010
Memphis
A few days ago I was ridding my bike and then the engine got real loud. I look down and the muffler is sitting to the side.

I get home to inspect the damage and this is what I find:

After inspecting the destruction I noticed that the innards were missing so I went looking for the and was lucky enough to find them and I was lucky that he muffler blew out down and not up.

Anyone ever have this problem?

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

Elixys

Sep 14, 2010
Midland, TX
Actually I had a very similar problem with my muffler. it didnt quite blow out like yours but it did come apart on me. I noticed that oil/carbon residue was coming out of the seams of my muffler so I tightened up the little screw on the bottom of the muffler and that didnt fix it. So i took it apart and sealed up the seams with some high temp silicon gasket goop and that worked great (after I let it set up)....then about 20 minutes into the ride ploom!!! bottom and guts fell out and threads for the screw were blown out..... so I did what a respectable person would do.....I kicked the thing.....then i went looking in the bushes for the innards......took the whole thing up to work and used an arc welder to weld it all back together.....***unless you are an experienced welder i wouldnt suggest welding anything*** and im not experienced at all......kind of burned a few holes in the pipe.....luckily they werent big holes so i managed to seal them up with lots of slag......so far it's held pretty good and i would say i even got a little bit of a boost in power ......that was until the gasket on the motor blew out.

Last edited:

roginc

Jul 31, 2010
Memphis
O.K. so zoombicycles.com replaced my muffler. Got it yesterday and I installed it. I went on a 20mile ride today and half way through it the damn thing blew out again!!!!! What am I doing wrong?

I have had nothing but problems with this build. One thing after another has broken and I am to the point that I want to sell the damn thing and buy a real motorcycle.

Any advice would help.

Neal

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
These mufflers no mater what vendor or brand you use have a tendency to blow the mufflers. Just poor quality, I usually tack all my mufflers to avoid this problem.

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
This exact thing happened to me today. The tack weld that holds the innards to the upper part of the pipe broke, causing the rest of the muffler to fall off after the "cat." (where before, the baffles/innards were tack welded to the "cat.")

roginc

Jul 31, 2010
Memphis
I was lucky because my parts were still under warranty. Once I got the new one in I did do as Dave31 suggested. The welds are ugly but I hope they will hold.

Now if I can just fix some other problems that I am having.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
i lost the muffler like this on my first bike....i was able to put it back together though...it seems that the problem is the nyloc nut on the bottom.....as the muffler gets older the nylon melts out of it allowing the nut to spin freely....to remedy this i used a "quish" nut...dont quote me on the name but if you look at the hole in the middle it has an eliptical shape kinda like its been quished...it hasnt backed off since...if i remember right the stud off the bottom is a 6mm 1.00 thread(once again dont quote me)

kinda fun when it falls apart though huh vvapppp vahp bap bap bap hahahhaaha