What should the voltage be on my Lifepo4 cells, after being fully charged and....

GoldenMotor.com

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
sitting overnight?

Checking the cells on my Lifepo4 pack, i noticed that some are at 3.3xV and some are at 3.2xV after being fully recharged and sitting overnight.

Is that normal? Or should they all be at some other voltage level?

And yes, right after being fully charged they are at ~3.7v...

Should i be worried that some sit at around 3.2 and some sit around 3.3?

jdcburg

Jul 9, 2009
massachusetts
I think there are several possibilities. First, it depends on what you mean by "fully charged." I used a so-called smart charger before I got my balancing charger. That would shut off when the cells were around 3.6-3.7v, but then they would all settle back to 3.3x overnight like yours. Using the balancing charger they stay up at 3.5-3.6 overnight. But I think some of that last little bit is a surface charge. I checked it last time I rode and within 1/10 of a mile all cells were in the low 3.4s. But then they stayed in the low 3.4s to high 3.3s for some distance. I frequently go 10 miles or more before mine drop into the 3.2s, and then they stay in the 3.2s for another 10 miles or more.

Probably of more interest is how they hold up: do the low cells stay lower than the rest or is the pack in reasonable balance at 40/60/80% DOD? Are you getting good use out of the pack? - jd