losing power i think

GoldenMotor.com

Tim Mills

Oct 9, 2009
Mississippi
ok so i changed my plug to an NGK today thought i woul see some gain in power. Maybe a little at top end a little smoother but it seems like it takes me forever to get to top end. Changed mix 50:1 seems like it got slower. I been messing with the little deal on top of the carb that screws cable up and down only seems to rev a little higher. I have e clip at one above stock. I tried moving it down one time to the bottom notch really had no control of throttle then Oh yeah i can let off of gas and still seems like im giving it a little gas. I did notice that when i installed the throttle that you can roll it forward a little which actually pushes the whole cable out a little of the elbow should it just sit right above that little notch. I know im asking alot of questions just trying to make sure I got the norm or am i missing power thanks guys usflg

nogig

Mar 18, 2010
south carolina
1. How many miles on your motor?

2. The thing on the top of carb is for slack adjustment, not idle control

3. 2nd grove from top is a good place to start with carb adjustment

4. You using synthetic or dino oil?

If you could number your questions it'd help some, kinda hard to decipher a wall of text.usflg

Tim Mills

Oct 9, 2009
Mississippi
1 using lucas semi syn 50:1 was using penzoil for break in

2 just put the motor on this week not sure about miles, went through two gallons of gas mixed 32:1

3 second nocth on needle

Last edited:

nogig

Mar 18, 2010
south carolina
K,

Well, I;d say go back to 32 to1 since it worked better (i run 32to 1 synth oil myself, some guys will say its too much oil i dont) keep clip where it is, adjust the slack only out of the cable via the top of carb and coupler on the throttle. Check the gap on the plug (should be say .028 to .030) also as far as getting up to speed if you just go full throttle is it slow or do you gradually apply throttle? i have to ease the gas to mine as it bogs kinda if you go wot all at once. also when riding turn off your petcock and see if the acceleration goets better for a few seconds as thats the sign of a misadjusted float. hope i helped some, let us know how it works

nolan_speed

May 31, 2010
Seattle, WA
Some good tips posted above but it sounds like your main problem is your throttle cable adjustment. Remove your air cleaner and look through the carb and make sure your slide can go all the way up and then returns all the way back down. The idle is adjusted with the screw on the side of the carb, back it all the way out and make sure your carbslide can bottom out, then turn in the idle screw 1.5 to 2 turns in, fine tune it by riding and making small adjustments.

Make sure you get the throttle figured out before messing with everything else.

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
Most likely the reason you feel you are slower switching from 32-1 to 50-1 is the lower oil content gives the gas a lower viscosity and it flows through the carb jets easier making your fuel mixture richer. For what ever reason these engines are shipped with the carb set rich.

When you get your throttle cable linkage issues fixed put the needle clip in the top groove of the needle. This should lean your part throttle mixture. You can tell if the needle is too rich is if the engine misses and four strokes at part throttle flat ground but cleans up and runs better when you open the throttle If you can find one get a smaller main jet to try. thescootershop.com has jets and I believe Sick Bike Parts now have jets. The stock jet will be a 70. That is .7mm. I am running a 68 and it helped. They were out of 66 jets and I think I need one to try. The jets are 5mm Dellorto jets. I am running Opti-2 oil at 100-1 and it seems to work well.

Jim

Tim Mills

Oct 9, 2009
Mississippi
Hey again guys, ok i looked in the carb and noticed that the carb slide wasnt bottomed out so i adjusted it as such. then i went for a ride when i adjusted the idle screw idle went down reved it up idle went up and so forth. I also notice a little surging.

could this be the mix of fuel i have lucas semi syn 50:1 I thought the ngk plug would work better not that much of a difference that i could tell. Maybe i should try anothe plug wire not sure.

my ?s should i go back to 32:1 or try opti 2
could it be an air leak
new carb
should i try new plug wire and which one

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
If it runs a new plug wire won't change anything. I small amount at least of mechanical ability is needed to work on a engine. If you have none you are going to have a tough time.

Jim