Anyone use a Subaru in cold weather?

GoldenMotor.com

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
My EHO35 loses about 20% or so of it's power when the temperature gets in the 40s or so. On level ground it's not hardly noticable but I have to pedal on hills that it will climb no problem if the temp is mid 60s or higher. Forget about riding in the rain, it won't idle and has almost zero power.

Is that just the way these engines are?

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
Hmmm, that doesn't sound right. I'm not familiar with the Subaru, but I do run several Hondas and Honda clones. Only time I have a problem is if snow clogs the air filter, or the carb venturi ices up. Icing can happen at 40 degrees if it is humid. Hope this helps.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Have you checked the plug if it is running to lean? As it gets colder, air condenses. Therefor you will get more air per fuel ratio causing the engine to run lean. Might try richening up the carb and see if that solves it.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
The Honda/HS engines don't use a diaphragm carb so I don't know about comparing them to the R/S engines.

I don't think it runs lean, it never surges. There's no adjustments that can be made to the carb short of rejetting, which would void the warranty if not done by an authorized dealer. It's not enough of a problem to be worth all that.

Last edited:

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Yes I have and do, down to about 20 degrees. These EHO35's run the best for me at cooler temps, nice and smooth. I go down in engine oil weight, of course, and let them warm up throughly before using. No loss of power whatsoever, in fact if anything they seem to run stronger.

It's the hottest days of summer is where I have some hard starting issues when the motor is hot.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
The title of this thread still makes me chuckle because I drive a Subaru Legacy which works wonderfully in like -40° and feet of snow ...
*must get Subaru addiction out of my mind on this board...*

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
Maybe being at about 4200' elevation has something to do with it. I think it's running rich if anything. Gas mileage has definitely dropped since the temp got below 50 degrees.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Maybe being at about 4200' elevation has something to do with it. I think it's running rich if anything. Gas mileage has definitely dropped since the temp got below 50 degrees.
I think it might have a a lot to do with it. I"ve had numerous conversations and emails with a couple of R/S service techs on issues with these engines. One thing that always comes up is the stock Walbro carbs have no adjustments other than jetting and they are jetted from the factory for sea level.

I live at about sea level so I've not had to look for alternatives but these engines, even when they're running well, tend to run rich anyway and carbonizing the piston crown and valves is a condition that in my experience bears monitoring.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
I thought about rejetting the carb even before the cold weather since I've thought it ran a little rich at this altitude all along. It just wasn't worth voiding the warranty until now. I think I remember reading in the manual the factory jetting was supposed to be OK to 6000'. I guess I'll have to see if anyone around here can order jets for one of these engines.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
Does anyone here know where to get parts for these engines? I was told by a dealer they only sell one other main jet for these engines and it's no longer available.

RecycleBill

Oct 31, 2009
Greensboro, North Carolina
PS. I was wondering. My Subaru-Robin is on a Staton kit. I'm wondering if the cold weather loss of power might be due to the use of grease in the transmissions rather than oil as it seems to pick up power after a lot of riding but long idle times do nothing to change the symptoms. Are you also running a Station kit?

ut1205

Jul 4, 2009
Tennessee
I have the Staton friction drive with the R/S engine. Coldest I have used is 45F but it seemed to run stronger than normal. The only difference I noted is that it took two pulls to start rather than the normal one. I don't know about rain. I don't even try. I am 670 feet above sea level.