slap on hoot replacment?

GoldenMotor.com

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
hey there, im still using my hoot, ive got about to 400kms on my hoot and it still runs great but i am planing ahead and want a quieter and more reliable replacement, i dont really want to spend 250 bucks on one though, what is there out there that will be a straight up bolt on to replace my hoot, what about the chain drive hoot? im thinking of getting one of those from my vendor once he gets them in, i like that EZ one but its to expensive for me, if someone could point me in the right direction, right now i have a 44t on the rear and its perfect,

i have the 49cc honda clone, hau sheng or something?

Last edited:

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Linnix, I think if you search the threads you will find there are very few choices.

The Grube box will most probably not fit your engine because you should have a 15.1mm output on the crankshaft (turned down to have that silly clutch bell run on it). The Grube version of the HS 142f uses a 16mm (5/8) nominal shaft.

There were some custom boxes made up in Washington State by Firebelly, tho when last I heard his price was $350.00, he would be capable of fitting to your 15.1 crank I would imagine.

EZ Motorbike was designed to go on your engine, and will work, tho you had said you did not want to spend the money for what American boxes would cost.

The new Chain-drive Hoot will NOT fit your engine, as it has a different side-cover on the crankcase, a shorter tapered crankshaft end that I do not think has a key way at all, this is also the same style as the Titan uses.

The Titan gear-reduction unit will not fit, nor will any of the 78mm drives like the BMP friction, or the Staton with the clutch bell attached (the only type they make that I have ever installed).

The new Grube belt-drive will not work because it requires the engine version with the built-in auto-clutch also.

I think I have covered most of the market as we know it, but you still should search these out to know for yourself the differences.

Mike

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Hi Linnix, I think if you search the threads you will find there are very few choices.

The Grube box will most probably not fit your engine because you should have a 15.1mm output on the crankshaft (turned down to have that silly clutch bell run on it). The Grube version of the HS 142f uses a 16mm (5/8) nominal shaft.

There were some custom boxes made up in Washington State by Firebelly, tho when last I heard his price was $350.00, he would be capable of fitting to your 15.1 crank I would imagine.

EZ Motorbike was designed to go on your engine, and will work, tho you had said you did not want to spend the money for what American boxes would cost.

The new Chain-drive Hoot will NOT fit your engine, as it has a different side-cover on the crankcase, a shorter tapered crankshaft end that I do not think has a key way at all, this is also the same style as the Titan uses.

The Titan gear-reduction unit will not fit, nor will any of the 78mm drives like the BMP friction, or the Staton with the clutch bell attached (the only type they make that I have ever installed).

The new Grube belt-drive will not work because it requires the engine version with the built-in auto-clutch also.

I think I have covered most of the market as we know it, but you still should search these out to know for yourself the differences.

Mike

so basically your on your own when you get these kits? you would assume they would have many easy replacements because of hoot issues,

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Linnix, these kits are made in China, the reason the kits are made is simply put, is to make money. The kit people seem to not care about the end results, or the quality replacement that you desire would have been made. There are apparently none of these being used in China, so they do not suffer for the lack of quality. There is a saying that is "TIC" meaning "This Is China", and the secondary meaning is "things are different here".

I don't seem to know who "they" that you were hoping would rise up, and make the tranny that you wanted to buy cheaply, but options DO exist.

I pointed out to you that Firebelly has made American boxes (tho I do not know if there are any to be had at this moment).

You can also check with Dave Staton, and see if he has anything for you, but, his gear-reduction is USA CNC and will not be at China-prices.

I believe that I told you the impetus to start the EZMotorbike Company, was to give American owners, (and whomever we can sucessfully ship to), a quality primary drive to use behind what is a very good little 49cc 4-stroke engine, that has the capacity to be an outstanding transportation machine. We started with the Silent Power manual clutch, and now have a new auto-clutch model, the Q-Matic.

We had hoped to be able to manufacture for less money than it turns out that we are able to. The current production is CNC Aluminum transmission body, American clutch (custom tuned), and all other parts sourced from USA vendors. This all really does cost money.

These as best as I know, are the options available to you, unless you can design and build your own, or, maybe, you could use a scooter or pocket bike unit,I do not think it would be easy tho I have no first hand knowledge of what you would have to do to modify one of those.

Good luck, as far as I can tell, this is where we are (I ride both Silent Power, and Q-matics myself).

Mike

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
A grubee box should work. It may be necessary to shim the clutch to the crank, but the current clutch should work with a grebee box. If there is much wabble between the clutch and crank shaft now, it should be shimmed. I only know the old hoot boxes, but if it has the same type clutch it should be no problem. I am currently riding a bike that I changed from the hoot to a grubee.

RebelMoby

Nov 14, 2009
Canada
Just go to Princess Auto and get some weld on sprockets - they have 16 tooth count up to 72 tooth in #35 chain.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Just go to Princess Auto and get some weld on sprockets - they have 16 tooth count up to 72 tooth in #35 chain.
yes indeed thats the most reliable way, but the engine is not offset so the crankshaft does not line up with the back tire, it would need a jackshaft or to have the entire engine shifted over alot, also im not to sure about having a sprocket on the tire the size of the tire! there must be some middle ground, i know on my home made go carts and other contraptions i would just run like a 11t on a centrifugal clutch and a 40t on the back and just run a #35 roller chain, it always worked fine for me, but im thinking that these little 50cc engines have high rpms and get there power from that, unlike my honda gx200 had low rpms but a lot of torque!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you did get it to work, the gear ratio would be fine, just like on a mini bike. You would also be rolling on the most insane set of "Bigs and Littles".

RebelMoby

Nov 14, 2009
Canada
Actually I was thinking more like gutting the gears from the primary and replacing them with the chain drive - not running from the clutch directly to the wheel.

yes indeed thats the most reliable way, but the engine is not offset so the crankshaft does not line up with the back tire, it would need a jackshaft or to have the entire engine shifted over alot, also im not to sure about having a sprocket on the tire the size of the tire! there must be some middle ground, i know on my home made go carts and other contraptions i would just run like a 11t on a centrifugal clutch and a 40t on the back and just run a #35 roller chain, it always worked fine for me, but im thinking that these little 50cc engines have high rpms and get there power from that, unlike my honda gx200 had low rpms but a lot of torque!