which frame to consider and why

GoldenMotor.com

RedRider48

Nov 21, 2013
Severna Park, MD
Hey Guys,
My first post.....
I mentioned in my intro, I like classic 2 wheel stuff. Sooo, In build'g my own bike, what are the bikes with the retro look of the Schwinns, Roadmaster Raleigh etc. Or, is there a "stickie" on this, I haven't yet seen?
Thanks for any replies.

Ken

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I think the best thing for you to do is check out the Cruiser sub-forum on this site. Some high quality modern cruiser bikes with classic looks are made by Dyno, Felt. Electra, Phat, 3G and Sun. (There are more - I'm not intentionally leaving any company out). Some guys still motorize their Western Flyers from the 70s. Most major name brand bike companies have offered a cruiser recently like Specialized, Trek, K2, KHS, GT, Diamondback and Giant. I wouldn't get hung up on one particular make and model. Narrow it down to a few and then look for the best deal, whether its new or used. Current Schwinn and Kent cruisers from department stores have been sucessfully been motorized too if you are on a budget.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Very good advice from Wheelbender. If I could add anything it would be to check also our DYI section to see what others have done in the way of homebuilt bikes. Everything from the frame up to uncommon engine choices can be found there.
You'll probably get lots of opinions on 'the best frame' because everyone likes what they have and will usually suggest it.
Hang in there and take your time. After all, winter is coming and you'll need a project to have ready for spring. :)
Good luck.

Tom

RedRider48

Nov 21, 2013
Severna Park, MD
Hey Guys,
Thanks for your good advice. Yeah, I know about "what is the best frame" deal, but, I've been away from bicycles since the 60s and not familiar with any of the names mentioned. But, I did know, "FELT". A couple of years ago they offered a tribute bike to the Mustang. I was all over that, as I own a restored 64.5 Mustang cvt. However, it was quite "spendy" at $1200, as I recall.
Thanks again for your collective comments, I'll look into those names.
Happy trails....

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i look for to things in my motorized bicycles
1, comfort
2, style

that frame looks like it has both

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I was going to say hard tail thick tube steel frames are the best ones. Light weight aluminium frames are prone to cracking due to engine vibrations. Steel is also much easier to weld on as well. I personally like suspension forks and seat post. Makes for a much more comfortable ride.

RedRider48

Nov 21, 2013
Severna Park, MD
It's looking like a '51 frame. The S/N is H33367. Yeah, it's robust too. I was thinking a suspension seat with a springer or suspension fork type deal. I have the OEM fork and it has a couple chrome rod looking do-dads on the front fork. I'm still sorting through it all.
I wish I could find a "tank" for the girl.