Too hot to ride?

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I am a long time desert rat 'Zonie but I don't think I'll even walk outside this coming weekend, let alone go ride in these temps.

I don't care who you are, 115º F which was yesterdays prediction, today it was 117º, whatever it ends up being it is all frigg'n brutal after 110º.

On the other hand we only suffer these extremes for 3 or 4 months a year but riding in complete bliss while many of you have your bikes stored for the winter ;-}

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Yeah, I've ridden in 100* heat and it burns your face. If I don't get sunburn I get wind burn. It's even worse when we've got a front blowing through and it picks up the winds. Oh God it's terrible. Thankfully this summer hasn't been as hot as the past two. Not like I can ride anyway....

Mar 31, 2013
RI
...the second link in your sig is still inactive bro, i was thinking about ordering one of your keyed CDI's and i'm having trouble finding it using the only working link in your sig. (i tried to recommend it in a thread by someone wanting to rig a DIY killswitch too and that's how i found the dead link again)

...anyway, i'm not in any hurry but i am lusting after one of your keyed CDI's so i figured i'd give you a shout out and let you know your server problems still exist, to some extent at least.

peace, bozo

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
I am a long time desert rat 'Zonie but I don't think I'll even walk outside this coming weekend, let alone go ride in these temps.

I don't care who you are, 115º F which was yesterdays prediction, today it was 117º, whatever it ends up being it is all frigg'n brutal after 110º.

On the other hand we only suffer these extremes for 3 or 4 months a year but riding in complete bliss while many of you have your bikes stored for the winter ;-}
I hear you KC that's why I do my riding at night! Last night a wonderful
87degrees no sun. Nice.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
...the second link in your sig is still inactive bro, i was thinking about ordering one of your keyed CDI's and i'm having trouble finding it using the only working link in your sig. (i tried to recommend it in a thread by someone wanting to rig a DIY killswitch too and that's how i found the dead link again)

...anyway, i'm not in any hurry but i am lusting after one of your keyed CDI's so i figured i'd give you a shout out and let you know your server problems still exist, to some extent at least.

peace, bozo
Thanks, I changed my sig here when the server was down, I'll fix it.

You couldn't find my keylock page because I don't sell them anymore.
I went through all 50 of those 4 tumbler cash register key switches I bought over a year ago and don't have $500 to order them again.

Ya, $10 each if you buy 50, nearly impossible to find at any price for just 1 but they worked perfect in the black plastic hobby boxes.

I still use the black boxes as I still re-wire every build, but as mentioned you could just put a mini SPST toggle switch in there and it would work, the key part (pun intended) with that key switch was it is weatherproof, hard to pick, short enough to fit in the box, and the key could be removed in the on or off position. When epoxied to the top of the CDI trying to remove it would destroy the CDI wires so if a thief stole your bike he couldn't make it run without a new CDI ;-}

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

What about the temperature at night? The year before last we were having 100 degree temps at midnight. That was the worst year we've ever had.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
What about the temperature at night? The year before last we were having 100 degree temps at midnight. That was the worst year we've ever had.
90 lows later this week, can't recall 100 low except maybe back in 1990, on this day tomorrow 6/26/90 the high was 122, the hottest day ever in Phoenix and ironically 6+26+90=122 as this mornings local news reminded me today of what to expect tomorrow.

But it's a DRY HEAT, hehehe, ya, like a blow drier ;-}

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
For me the fun factor does drop a little bit when it feels like you're riding in a toaster oven.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks, I changed my sig here when the server was down, I'll fix it.

You couldn't find my keylock page because I don't sell them anymore.
I went through all 50 of those 4 tumbler cash register key switches I bought over a year ago and don't have $500 to order them again.

Ya, $10 each if you buy 50, nearly impossible to find at any price for just 1 but they worked perfect in the black plastic hobby boxes.

I still use the black boxes as I still re-wire every build, but as mentioned you could just put a mini SPST toggle switch in there and it would work, the key part (pun intended) with that key switch was it is weatherproof, hard to pick, short enough to fit in the box, and the key could be removed in the on or off position. When epoxied to the top of the CDI trying to remove it would destroy the CDI wires so if a thief stole your bike he couldn't make it run without a new CDI ;-}
You're a genius, KC. That'll save a few bikes from being stolen.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I can't work outside in this heat these days despite 40+ years living and even doing roofing in it for my dad's roofing company as a kid (teens to mid 20's).

I am hover an expert at keeping cool ;-}
You're a genius, KC. That'll save a few bikes from being stolen.
I have my clever ideas, thanks for the kudo's ;-}
An ignition kill switch won't prevent someone from riding it away or putting it in a truck but they won't be able to escape with motor power and not get far pedaling trying to start the motor.

We are way off this 'too hot to ride' topic with disabling the motor but I'd bet an auto parts store 12V small panel mount light switch would fit in the box, it's not much larger than the keylocks I used and you could just tie the wires to the 2 CDI wires to short the CDI input like the kill button.

I just happen to be buttoning up my latest build so I took a couple of pics before I 'sealed the deal' as it were as I just temp the CDI in with stock wire for test rides first and this last.

The box's I use are about 1 3/4" x 1 1/2" x 1", it's just right for the smaller CDI's Skyhawks come with and still let wire out one side.
If memory serves I got my second 50 of those plastic boxes from Mouser. http://www.mouser.com for 50 cents each in bulk.

I just use the existing kill button wire now but 16g indoor/outdoor double insulated black speaker wire from the mag to the cdi, $50 for a 50' spool at Fry's Electronics. Note that any good outdoor extension cord or even PC/TV power cord works just as well but the wire colors will be different so attention to polarity.

So for $1.50 in parts and 1/2 an hour of time my ignition system comes out like this.

Top it off with an Iridium plug and you have a clean trouble free ignition system that gives you a big reliable spark that's pretty hard to beat.

As always just tips of how I build 'em, take 'em, or leave 'em ;-}

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Would you recommend the extended tip iridium plugs over extended tip copper plugs? (BP7HS, for example)
I don't now how or why Iridium's seem to make a better spark, they just do. I can feel the power gain though small changing from a BP7HS to a BPR7HIX, but you really notice it if you have to change back, kind of like your motor was kicked in the balls hehehe ;-}

Note the number is a heat number and they go from 5 to 8, the hotter your climate the higher the number you want, 7's or even 8's here in the desert in summer.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I don't now how or why Iridium's seem to make a better spark, they just do. I can feel the power gain though small changing from a BP7HS to a BPR7HIX, but you really notice it if you have to change back, kind of like your motor was kicked in the balls hehehe ;-}

Note the number is a heat number and they go from 5 to 8, the hotter your climate the higher the number you want, 7's or even 8's here in the desert in summer.
I've got a stock GT5 head that's been lightly lapped, I can run an extended tip plug without issue, correct? And how does the gapping work on the iridiums? I know the electrode is tiny.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I've never had to gap them, they come gaped with a cardboard tube over the end from the factory, they are longer than stock but never had a head clearance issue with any SKyhawk head, even the 48cc's but I'd spin the piston up to TDC to check if you milled some.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Mouser Electronics is got them and Barrel switch like a soda machine key that's what I've got t mine in a box and put it up next to the kill switch is intergrated it that way . That looks like the same box I used for the modified CDI enclosure cut in half .

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Mouser Electronics is got them and Barrel switch like a soda machine key.
My very first keylock ignition was with an old IBM Compatible case Keyboard Lock barrel switch, too funny but it worked.

But back to Too Hot To Ride?

I was greeted with this on local TV news at 6 this morning.

In short not a friendly weather day today.

This should be the worst until the monsoon season starts and temps start on a 'cooling trend' tomorrow. I always have to laugh at that TV weather phrase, these is nothing 'cool' about 110F.

I have no problem staying in AC so midday heat is not that bad, it's the morning lows that really hurt as I can't open the house up for some fresh air.

That's OK with me, I don't have shovel heat and I'll be riding around come winter holiday time ;-}