pull starter

GoldenMotor.com

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
I think I am going to eliminate my pull starter and use a loose rope.

On this topic, on my Greyhound 79cc engine, I was looking at the chromed bell that is bolted to the crankshaft and the rope starter attaches to (it has a bunch of slots all the way around). I grabbed said part and pulled it along the direciton of the crankshaft and noticed that the whole thing moved side to side around .125" to .25" (didn't check the actual distance).

Is this normal for these small engines to have some side to side float on the crankshaft?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I think I am going to eliminate my pull starter and use a loose rope.

On this topic, on my Greyhound 79cc engine, I was looking at the chromed bell that is bolted to the crankshaft and the rope starter attaches to (it has a bunch of slots all the way around). I grabbed said part and pulled it along the direciton of the crankshaft and noticed that the whole thing moved side to side around .125" to .25" (didn't check the actual distance).

Is this normal for these small engines to have some side to side float on the crankshaft?
Not that much. 1/4 inch is bit excessive.
But as long as it runs okay, I'd just gouge on it Not much you can do about it without a major rebuild so may as well enjoy it until.