Another B.T.R. Build.......

GoldenMotor.com

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
I am still gathering parts but will be building a clone powered B.T.R. I don't have much to show yet but will update as I progress.

Got this beauty in last night...

And of course, the powerplant...

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Welcome to the forum..... gotta love a new boardtracker to follow, good luck.

Thats a very nice looking hub? What brand is it? It is a front hub isnt it?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks, the hub is a rear Motobecane moped drum brake hub, I plan to get a 90 mm S.A. Hub for the front.
Very cool, im really liking that hub, is that sprocket made to fit that hub? Seeing the hub is from a moped does that mean it doesnt have another sprocket for a pedal chain? If so are you going pedaless, or linking your pedal chain into your jackshaft?

And the S.A front hub is a good choice.

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
The sprocket in the picture is for the motor drive side of the hub, I think it's a 52 tooth, there are threads on the other side of the hub to attach a freewheel for the pedals. I am really happy with this hub as it solves a lot of concerns I had in building a bike with this big of a motor, It also is very wide which is great for my situation because I am planning on running wide tires.

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
I originally tried to contact Sportsman Flyer about the hub they use but my e-mail didn't go through or something so I started searching this forum with keywords like hub, sprocket, etc. and finally found someones post mention moped hubs laced into their wheels, did some more searching here, ebay, and other places, found a complete moped rear wheel with no brakes for $99.00 and was about to buy it when I found 1977 mopeds. The price almost seemed too good to be true but I went head and ordered it, it showed up a few day later better than I expected. Moped parts in general are a great resource for us considering we are basically building cool lookin mopeds.

It is readily available brand new here...

Motobecane Rear Wheel Hub for $45.00 in Brake Hubs from 1977 Mopeds

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
The Sportsman Flyer rear hub has an adapter that will allow you to mount a modern Kart chain wheel on it. I don't know what kind of chain wheel will fit a stock moped hub.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I originally tried to contact Sportsman Flyer about the hub they use but my e-mail didn't go through or something so I started searching this forum with keywords like hub, sprocket, etc. and finally found someones post mention moped hubs laced into their wheels, did some more searching here, ebay, and other places, found a complete moped rear wheel with no brakes for $99.00 and was about to buy it when I found 1977 mopeds. The price almost seemed too good to be true but I went head and ordered it, it showed up a few day later better than I expected. Moped parts in general are a great resource for us considering we are basically building cool lookin mopeds.

It is readily available brand new here...

Motobecane Rear Wheel Hub for $45.00 in Brake Hubs from 1977 Mopeds
Yes also the other one for $39.99... think the place in Georga, USA.

Can you take a calipers and see for the one you got (suppose it for rear hub) what is the width at the threads all the way across and how much is available outside the drop outs.

Just thinking maybe mopeds have more width, but if it fits a 60's Era Mid Weight Steel Frame I'm gonna see about having a wheel laced with this.

I'm thinking I'll contact them about the front drum $39.99 and see if it will fit my front fork. Spacers I could add, but do not want to try to widen the front fork drop outs.

Tomorrow .... OK probably Monday I can see if they can give specs on the front.

MT

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
The Sportsman Flyer rear hub has an adapter that will allow you to mount a modern Kart chain wheel on it. I don't know what kind of chain wheel will fit a stock moped hub.
I thought they would have sprockets made to fit, I thought that's what the sprocket in the pictures was.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Wouldnt the threaded side be for your pedal chain? And im guessing the lugs on the opposite side (next to spoke holes) are to fit the drive sprocket...... if this right im getting one for sure..... and the best part is the price :)

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
I'll get those measurements in a little bit but I can tell you this is much wider than any bicycle hub I've seen, I'm making my own frame so It will be no problem for me and actually might help wit centering the engine with a CVT. The sprocket pictured bolts on the brake side of the hub and should take a 40 or 41 chain, the other side is threaded for a freewheel/ pedal side I'll take some more pictures of the hub when I take the measurements. I'm also very curious about the front hub but a little worried it won't have enough braking power, I guess I'll look for specs on Motobecane hubs and see what size brakes they have.

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
That wasn't hard, right on 77mopeds site under brake shoes, 80mm, anyone have experienced opinions on wether 80mm front and rear brakes would provide adequate stopping power for a 200cc motorbike? Or should I stick with the Sturmey Archer 90mm for the front?

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
That wasn't hard, right on 77mopeds site under brake shoes, 80mm, anyone have experienced opinions on wether 80mm front and rear brakes would provide adequate stopping power for a 200cc motorbike? Or should I stick with the Sturmey Archer 90mm for the front?
I would stick with the 90mm. By the time you are done the bike is going to be heavy. I have three brakes on my BTR and one is a disk, thank god for it since the front drum...well... what can I say...it kinda helps.