Looks a fun hobby

GoldenMotor.com

PurduePete

Jan 19, 2011
Indiana
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and have to say that I am already impressed. Every seems very nice and very willing to help so long as a person has done some research on their own first to make sure the solution is not already out there.

I go to Purdue for Mechanical Engineering Technology so a project like this always appeals to me. Going to need some thoughts after I do a touch more research on motors though. This will be a fun toy but ultimately not for me. I've got a 250cc dirt bike that I just converted for road use. My girlfriend is afraid of it so this is a great solution. This would also be a great bike for the small town that I am from. Also might be a good way to walk the dog drn2. Pretty excited about this, thats for sure.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome aboard. I think you're on the right track by building one for the lady. But, a warning...when it's done and she starts to ride it, either you or her will want another one. They're like potato chips...Enjoy, ride safe. Send us some photos of the lady on her bike.
Tom

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey Pete. Great project for an engineer. You will probably give us a few ideas. You may consider an autoclutch for the lady to start with. Takes their mind off having to use another lever. Just gas and go, brake and stop. Also the Chinese motors have a really hard clutch pull unless you modify it. Keep us posted on your progress.

PurduePete

Jan 19, 2011
Indiana
Oh I know that I will want one as well. Considering one for my younger brother who is back in the small town now. He is just now getting into the college thing so it'd be a good ride for him since the college is just down the road from him.

But I've been wanting to build a toilet go-kart type deal and this type engine might be just what I am looking for. Small, 2 stroke, cheap, and parts seem like they'd be pretty easy to come by and if not just get a new motor which is still pretty cheap. It's as expensive as a sprocket and chain set for my dirt bike for the whole motor.

And 2door is that your car in the picture? Looks like a beauty from the tiny picture that I can see.

I love to play with little things like this so hopefully I'll be able to improve a few things and maybe even make a few extra parts in some of my classes. Lots of clubs for things like this on campus so bet that they have got some ideas as well. I will make sure to post pictures once it is done and ready to go. The autoclutch is a great idea and I might consider it but it'd be good for her to learn to ride a real clutch bike for at least a little while. She wants to ride the dirt bike but can't drive a clutch bike at all and with that thing being about 6 inches too tall it is not a good idea to learn on it.

Last edited: