huffy womens cranbrook hubs

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I can't identify them in terms of 'who makes them'.

But they're not great. I have one that's a couple of years old now and I've rebuilt it 4 times. A bit of irony; the last time was this past summer. I got fed up and bought a whole new wheel that included a Shimano hub. The stock Huffy is now holding on, seemingly fine, and the new wheel is waiting it's turn to be used.

But back to the real point. They're not very good at all. But it seems that they can be okay as long as you keep a close eye on them. Grease it yourself about once per season. And carry a cone wrench and 11/16 in wrench. Inspect frequently for loose cones and tighten.

And trash-pick coaster brake type wheels for the spare internal hub parts that you're likely to need from time to time.

Unless you really get unlucky, this'll probably keep you riding for some time.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I can't identify them in terms of 'who makes them'.

But they're not great. I have one that's a couple of years old now and I've rebuilt it 4 times. A bit of irony; the last time was this past summer. I got fed up and bought a whole new wheel that included a Shimano hub. The stock Huffy is now holding on, seemingly fine, and the new wheel is waiting it's turn to be used.

But back to the real point. They're not very good at all. But it seems that they can be okay as long as you keep a close eye on them. Grease it yourself about once per season. And carry a cone wrench and 11/16 in wrench. Inspect frequently for loose cones and tighten.

And trash-pick coaster brake type wheels for the spare internal hub parts that you're likely to need from time to time.

Unless you really get unlucky, this'll probably keep you riding for some time.

Yep, I think the brand name is "Cheapp Onnes". This is what I have, also. As stated above, they'll do OK as long as you use good grease and don't abuse them. And, cone wrenches are a must have!!

Good luck!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The single best way to improve cheap hub durability is to KEEP THEM PROPERLY GREASED AND ADJUSTED!
Plain and simple.I've had good results from very cheap parts with good upkeep and preparation.