Walmart Schwinn Admiral, crazy?

GoldenMotor.com

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Now that my ebike is running well, looking for a new project. I was dead set on a 4 stroke if I built another gas bike, but I just love the look and ease of mounting an HT. And with the new Dax balanced motors getting such praise...

That got me thinking that an HT build with a shift kit might be the way to go. A Schwinn Admiral popped up on Craigslist for $35 in like new condition (Walmart version, not vintage). I was thinking it would be a nice build since it has gears, steel V frame, and mounts for a rear rack gas tank.

I would run stronger wheels and hubs and likely a Monark fork. So, completely crazy idea? Will the 700c wheels be a problem?

I know the common thinking is that it would be better to spend another $50 or so and get a 90's hardtail mountain bike, but I really like the clean lines of the Admiral. I had a Cranbrook break on me at the usual place (cantilever weld at the seat tube), just wondering if this style frame will be any sturdier?

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Meh, ignore this thread, I talked myself out of it. I started thinking that having the 700c wheels and frame of unknown integrity might not be worth it, so I will just eyeball CL for old hardtails to convert to a similar look with a Gyes saddle and albatross bars.

I have my eye on an early 90's Diamondback Ascent EX that looks promising with a 19" frame. I would likely need to strip the paint, but I was looking for a project...

So dreaming this build into reality:
- Dax balanced 66cc China Girl
- Rear under-rack gas tank
- SBP Heavy Duty shift kit
- 90's hardtail mountain bike
- Suspension fork (either Monark, Sunlite Deluxe, or triple crown)
- Gyes leather sprung saddle
- Albatross bars
- Strong double wall rims, new hubs, Cyclops CST Pro tires (love 'em)
- Crowe cycles center stand
- Nice sealed bearing headset

Yeah, that will take a while to collect the funds for, but it all has to start somewhere. Then I will blow up that HT after a couple hundred miles, swear them off, sell the parts, build something else, miss having a gas bike, build another... LOL!

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm thrilled with my older Specialized Hard Rock. Nice and large for comfort and ease of building, good hardware and rims and decent brakes.
Highly suggested! Even nicer with a Dax!

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Nice, maniac! Look at all that room under the top bar! I think I would reroute the exhaust and use that space for a cylindrical fuel tank under the top bar...

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
You might like this one
Gran Royale Union Flyer single speed
Gran Royale Cogsville Nexus 3 spd and mine before and after mods.
I don't know if you have ever checked out the Schwinn at Wally World or else where but there really isn't any high quality to it, but I guess at $35.oo who cares ?
The Gran Royale line up are old school Schwinn Quality of old days

http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/s...36805&storeId=10053&catalogId=10052&langId=-1

Attachments