First build inquiries (Schwinn Varsity 1200 or Specialized Rockhopper)

GoldenMotor.com

xspaceghostx

Nov 18, 2013
South Carolina
Hello everyone! I've been playing around with the idea and researching motorized bicycles for the last week and have a good number of questions that I haven't really been able to answer myself from forum digging and google searches.

So I have been riding a bike as my primary transportation for over a year now and recently came across a Rockhopper for $20 so have been using that as my new daily rider. However I would really like to motorize my Schwinn because otherwise I'm just not going to get any use out of it. My goal would is to be able to visit my parents 18 miles away on nice weekends that I don't have anything else going on.

My main concern is the down tube on the Schwinn Varsity 1200, that defiantly originally came from Walmart, is not completely cylindrical. Also diving into kits and parts I don't even really know where to start. I want to use this bike as opposed to the Rockhopper because I'd like to have one motorized and one pedal only and the Rockhopper is friendlier to ride where I live.

Thank you for any help you could give me in advance! I'm really excited about this and want to make it happen!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Search "big tube mounts" for details on how you can deal with non-round or oversized frame tubing.
Both bikes should accept a ht motor.

missle3944

Feb 28, 2012
California
I bought a kit on ebay that came with a large tube mount.
The seller I bought from was rose326a

It just consists of a metal plate with 4 holes in it. 2 for mounting to the engine and 2 for mounting to the Ubolt. The chinese ubolt snapped after a week so i just bought a better replacement from Home Depot for like $2 and its been working fine for months!

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois
Let me add my advise. Nothing to do with the frame. But make sure you have a chain breaker. You will more than likely need it. I didn't have one when I built mine and used the old-fashioned way. Pin-punch and hammer. NOT FUN AT ALL!! Also, if your chainstay is not parallel to the wheel, that chain tensioner is gonna give you nothing but headaches. If you need a tensioner, check this one out:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=48647

I just ordered one. Can't wait til it gets here.
Other than that, any other questions you may have there's usually someone around here with an answer.

Last edited: