question about battery & lights

GoldenMotor.com

bangbang880

Mar 22, 2010
Los Angeles
Hi
I have a 12V. Ni-MH stick battery 3800 mah rechargeable. My question is can I run 2 lights and a motorcycle horn off of the 1 battery? The light are tail lights. 1 big bee light and 1 simular kinda torpedo light. I think they are both 12v 3 watt.
Basic chrome bike lights which I have painted flat black. I tested one at a time but I can't test both at once til hook up time because they come with no ground wire. I think 2 would be fine but would thwe horn blow it out? What do you guys think?
Many thanks. I am happy and surprised when I get the light to turn on. New to the electronic bit!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I normally run 1 at a time with NiteRider lighting systems, but I've got one homade set-up on a Miyata beach runner that I run 1 20watt halogen headlight and 2 small really old fashioned low wattage tailights off a single 5Ah SLA battery. It runs approx. 2 hours. The bigger the battery (amp hrs), the more run time and lights you can use.

wezwheels

Sep 9, 2008
try this, use led lights. i run two turn signals in front and two in the rear with brake light and a head light. go to bright led .com and get the leds from them with a led blinker switch. don`t use a vehicle blinker switch. there thermal and won`t work. to much draw on the battery. wire them all to a terminal block. that will get you your grounds and a full set of working lights.

wezwheels

Sep 9, 2008
oh yea, get a rectifier if you want to complete the circuit on the bike. it will recharge the battery while your using the lights. runs right off the motors third wire if i remember correctly. have a bright day. wezwheels.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Speaking of rectifiers, I have two generators (gyro or whatever they're called) that put out AC current that I run through a full bridgewave rectifier and into the 12vdc 5Ah battery if it starts running low on juice....works pretty well. The faster you ride, the faster it charges. The only downside is the drag of two generators running off the rear wheel (the Miyata does not have an engine.....yet!). zpt

biscuit

Feb 13, 2010
CA.
Yep, you can run all that stuff. But, you will get a lot more battery time, using hi-power LEDs instead of 12v auto lamps.