Just got the thing together (almost)

GoldenMotor.com

lasvegasazguy

May 26, 2011
Tucson, AZ
So I bought an engine kit with the American made transmission....I had the stupid gear box thinggy.....got it all put together oil in it and running....the only thing I was waiting on was some help with breaking the chain...Got that done...go to put chain on and my it is hitting the frame that is going from the rear wheel to seat...any ideas...cuz eventually one will have to give if i try to ride it like that

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
you might need a tensioner on the top to use as a guide
are you using the rag joint or an adapter on the wheel (adapter can be moved along hub for clearance)

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
when my chain was rubbing the frame I grabbed a hammer and flattened the frame, lay the bike down, put a 2x4 under the tube where the chain is rubbing , and smash it until you have enough clearance. no need to get all trickey and complicated

lasvegasazguy

May 26, 2011
Tucson, AZ
If your sprocket is installed dish out, try re-installing it with the offset in instesd.

That was exactly the problem...we got it fixed today....nice smooth ride but seems as though it needs a running start....once it gets going runs great...but very slow get up and go....thanks guysusflg

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
That was exactly the problem...we got it fixed today....nice smooth ride but seems as though it needs a running start....once it gets going runs great...but very slow get up and go....thanks guysusflg

what size rear sprocjet are you running? Most 4 strokes need a 56 t minimum. That's what I ended up with on my 4 stroke kit but it was still geared a little tall. I think a 60 t would have been better

lasvegasazguy

May 26, 2011
Tucson, AZ
yeah it came with the 56t.....maybe a little ways down the road I will put a 60 on it...weird though cuz i have had 4 strokes b4...one with the 4G belt drive last year (got stolen) had the 44t sprocket and was just fine same with the POS gear box driven one...both quick off the start and down the road

Hi lasvegasazguy,

EZM uses a different primary ratio than other companies, therefore the rear sprocket must be larger to compensate for the primary ratios.

The reason some of the 49 CC 4-strokes are dropping the rod is because of the wild ratios offered by several companies. It is like running your car in low gear all the time, while it will take off faster, it will also allow the motor to exceed 9000 RPMs [not a good idea for an extended time].

The Q-Matic used on the EZM kit is geared to make the bike a "cruiser", not a "pocket rocket", and therefore it will take off slightly slower, but the motor is only turning 6000 RPMs @ 30 MPH. Some of the current 4-stroke kits [offered by other companies], while taking off quickly, the motor is turning 9700 RPMs @ 30 MPH [redline is 7800 RPM].

Since the 4-stroke kit is a one speed, we elected to use ratios that would enhance motor life, make crusing speeds smoother, and while it doesn't "launch" from the stop sign it still has resonable "take-off" speeds.

If you need a different ratio [hills, extra weight, pulling a trailer, etc], a few have opted for the 60 or 62 tooth sprocket. We only stock the 56 tooth, however several companies offer "hub" adapters with a selection of sprockets ranging from 56 to 72.

We suggest you completely break-in the motor, as it gains a lot of power in the process. Check crusing speeds [normal riding speeds] to see if you adjust to the ratios, or need soemthing different.

I will list the RPM range on optional sprockets, so you will be better informed in the process.

56 tooth 7800 RPM = 39 MPH [redline]
60 tooth 7800 RPM = 37 MPH [redline]
62 tooth 7800 RPM = 35 MPH [redline]
64 tooth 7800 RPM = 34 MPH [redline]
66 tooth 7800 RPM = 33 MPH [redline]
68 tooth 7800 RPM = 32 MPH [redline]
72 tooth 7800 RPM = 30 MPH [redline]

Have fun,

Last edited:

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I also believe the larger the rear, the easier it is to get to red line

I can hit 30 (with a 72tooth) just about at will

I always recommend more caution regarding rpm's when people ask about big sprockets

(btw,,,I just did my 11,000 mile oil change !!!(^))