Would a Whizzer be legal in Canada?

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I just read in another thread that Whizzers came with titles, at least recent ones around 1999 or so. That being the case, then I would think it could be licensed and insured. As I understand it gas engined bikes are outlawed Canada wide and is why so many are going over to electric bikes since they are not outlawed. Whizzers aren't inexpensive, but neither are ebikes capable of good range and power. For those who love the feel of a heavy duty bicycle and the sound of the gas motor under them it might be a way to have your cake and eat it, too. Just wondering.
SB

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
I do not know the laws in Canada but if mopeds are legal then I "think" Whizzers would be. That's an interesting question.

Jim

Last edited:
New edition Whizzers normally come with a Mfg. Cert. of Origin and can be turned into a title. In most states the Whizzer motorbike is classed as a MC because of the 138 CC motor [most states limit the motor to 50 CC or less to not be considered a MC]. In NC [where I live] all my new edition Whizzers are lic. & insured because of the size of the motor.

In CA the Whizzer [not the Ambassador model] is under 2 HP and isn't considered a MC.

Have fun,

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Guys, well just like the USA Canada has its Federal type rules and laws and Provincial (State) Law systems.

There was a time when I was studying the possibility of actually doing distribution of Whizzers, in as much of Canada as possible. This caused me to contact Transport Canada, (Canada's version of DOT) where I spoke to a couple of nice ladies a couple of times. At one point, my needs being more technical, I spoke to Jean Claude (I've forgotten his last name) who is the commander, or what ever correct title, in charge of Transport Canada.

Among the things that would be needed for Whizzer to even be considered for Import were, Inspection ports (holes) in the brake mechanisms to allow official representatives to inspect the brakes, and a Speedo that was marked in Kilometers. These things do NOT exist, but I was prepared to have the modifications made for the export project. Also, there is the matter of becoming an "Approved Vehicle"

None of this addresses the legal issues which would be done in this manner (mostly). Certificate of Origin, easy deal, already in place.

There was a set of official forms, that I could not fill out, being an intermediary, not the actual manufacturer, nor the official representative of the Corp, at that time, in addition, there were many questions that I did not have access to the answers, I passed this set of forms on to my contacts, and to the best of my knowledge they were never filed.

THEN, production bikes could be submitted for inspection, and testing for approval, (remember, that you must pass this part, or you'll never put rubber on the road). The corporate Inspection, and certification of production bikes for Government approval was never started.

Apparently, as you now see, it is not a cakewalk to get a "Limited Speed Motorcycle" certified for Canadian Road systems?

I do not think anyone really knows about this project, and I have never written about it before, or even discussed it with outsiders, as it would have been a very good business, and I did not need any interference in the negotiations at the time.

I hope you-all enjoy reading about this now unfeasible project.

Mike

Bob Gurkin

Jan 1, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I lived on Bell Island in Newfoundland for several years and took my Whizzer with me. The first spring I had my Whizzer out of the basement and donned my helmet and off I went exploring the island. For the most part the islanders were amazed at the Whizzer since it was the first ever on the island and I had to stop so they could look the bike over. It was a 1999 bike that I had dressed out with Schwinn Panther fenders, original front and rear bumper guards and an original 1940s bomb sight fender ornament. It also had black and white streamers and a windshield. Needless to say it was dressed to the max. In all the time I rode my bike I was stopped only once by the RCMP and he just wanted to look at the bike. I understand that the year I left major changes were made in the law and now the Whizzer would not be allowed. Too bad for Canadians.