Chain Breaker Questions.

GoldenMotor.com

Chrismbello

Nov 8, 2009
Gainesville
Has anyone ever tried using a chainbreaker like this : Motorcycle and ATV Chain Breaker ???

I'm looking for a chain breaker for about 20$ that's good and reliable and doesn't take an hour to remove a link, but would rather take 2-3 minutes.

I've noticed some of the Harbor freight breakers but read up that you have to do modification to the breaker itself to make it work.

Thanks for your comments.

Flounder

May 26, 2010
Jacksonville Beach
Hey chris, I have used the one in your first post.. Actually tried it in the parking lot at northren tool where i bought it.. Straight up junk... Returned it on the spot.. The one I use now came from harbor freight for 15 buck.. Way better of a tool , and bullet proof for what I use it for.. I did have to modify one of this pins on a bench grinder to round it down a little. The Diameter of the pin is a tad to big. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
that was probably my post you read about the HF chain breaker. it's weird that the first one i bought had two different pins, and none of the other ones do.

it comes with 2 pins, and they're larger diameter and fit the 415 and 41 chains perfectly. like Flounder said, you have to grind down one pin to fit your bike chain. if you have a grinder, it'll take you 30 seconds. probably take you 10 minutes with a file.

best chain breaker i've ever used. seriously.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I love your tag line Flounder...
"A mans mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimension. Hmmmm ? "
I have used this one off and on for years...

It's all how you look at things ©¿©¬

But back to this chain breaker topic ;-}
I break a lot of chain because I tend to try to chain match best I can which means both chains and the $6 Ace Hardware one was useless after a couple of breaks, the cheap aluminum housing threads stripped.

The $10 one I got from a local bike store works well, but only for 'regular' size chain, not the heavy duty Z chain so I am interested what this community finds to be the best tool for the best price to handle both.

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
i have the one from harbor freight i like it because its heavy duty i like it because you could change the tip for what ever chain you have a paid a little under 20. bucks

Flounder

May 26, 2010
Jacksonville Beach
Thx KC, I like the ansi art in your tag..

I would only use a dremel if it was a one time thing.. Dont get me wrong I use to use a hammer , punch , grinder you name it when I was kid and didnt have a choice and beefed up alot of chains back then.. But I believe 15 dollars is money well spent when it comes to building these bikes. On the other hand money is always a factor... I know if I wasnt on budget I could spend 250k on my dream workshop lol...

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thx KC, I like the ansi art in your tag..
... I know if I wasnt on budget I could spend 250k on my dream workshop lol...
Heck, $250K, even $25K could make for a nice shop, but like many people in this economy I have no K's in what I can spend on tools, usually not even just $25 at a time hehehe.

And the tag line, ya, it is old school, kind of like the ansi smile I like to use so ofter ;-}

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Has anyone ever tried using a chainbreaker like this : Motorcycle and ATV Chain Breaker ???

I'm looking for a chain breaker for about 20$ that's good and reliable and doesn't take an hour to remove a link, but would rather take 2-3 minutes.

I've noticed some of the Harbor freight breakers but read up that you have to do modification to the breaker itself to make it work.

Thanks for your comments.
I spent like $35 on one of those at the hardware store before. Could not for the life of me figure out how to use it.

tipetu

Jul 19, 2010
Bergen, Norway
I use a grinder on the metal pin, and pry it open with a screwdriver. Simple and easy. took me 2 min to cut and splice a heavy 420 chain with a masterlink.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have the HF one. It is heavy duty, cheap and really works well. I used to have a small sledge, punch and nail in a box just for breaking chains but once I used an actual chain breaker, wow, what a difference. 2 seconds and your done. Don't even have time for colorful language and is way kinder to your knuckles. I am going to spend the cash and get one for this. Never sorry when ya have the right, good tool.

I spent like $35 on one of those at the hardware store before. Could not for the life of me figure out how to use it.
I never could figure them out either MK! (I think it is sold as a chain breaker to hide that is a marital aid for folks who enjoy leather) Just found this; Roller Chain Breaker Tools #25-#60 (4003D60) Has a diagram. Might have to try one.

dremels are lousy at putting chains back together...
Cracked me up Baird. I posted that in the snork thread