Front brake kits

GoldenMotor.com

muldrick

Apr 14, 2010
Eastern Shore
I want to order one for my Cranbrook. (hope it'll work with the wheel).
Who's got the kits?
I saw one at Piston Bikes but I don't care to pay $18.00 shipping.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
What does the v-brake clamp look like and where can you get one?
I am picturing it being something that goes in the little hole in the top of the fork that allow the use of v-brakes?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I want to order one for my Cranbrook. (hope it'll work with the wheel).
Who's got the kits?
I saw one at Piston Bikes but I don't care to pay $18.00 shipping.
This is what i put on the front of my huffy, it is a U Brake caliper, not quite as good of a brake as a V Brake set up but much easier to put on your Huffy and cheaper as well, it also has the brake shoes that are made for a steel wheel, and most V brake set ups are designed for bikes with Alum. Wheels and the pads on them dont work as good on a steel wheel.

Check out this guys store and you will find loads of brake stuff, I have ordered from this guy and he shipped quick and has some good prices.

NEW BLACK BICYCLE CALIPER BRAKES BIKE PARTS 301 - eBay (item 230378795901 end time Aug-13-10 08:29:50 PDT)

PAIR OF BLUE ANODIZED LOWRIDER CALIPER BRAKES PART 456 - eBay (item 290429694122 end time Jul-26-10 15:00:49 PDT)

PAIR OF RED ANODIZED LOWRIDER CALIPER BRAKES PART 455 - eBay (item 290429694582 end time Jul-26-10 15:02:52 PDT)

PAIR OF LIME GREEN ANODIZED LOWRIDER CALIPER BRAKES 539 - eBay (item 230476698021 end time Jul-17-10 15:02:17 PDT)

NEW CHROME BIKE CALIPER U BRAKE BICYCLE PARTS 362 - eBay (item 230370748661 end time Jul-20-10 11:45:36 PDT)

muldrick

Apr 14, 2010
Eastern Shore
This is what i put on the front of my huffy, it is a U Brake caliper, not quite as good of a brake as a V Brake set up but much easier to put on your Huffy and cheaper as well, it also has the brake shoes that are made for a steel wheel, and most V brake set ups are designed for bikes with Alum. Wheels and the pads on them dont work as good on a steel wheel.

Check out this guys store and you will find loads of brake stuff, I have ordered from this guy and he shipped quick and has some good prices.
Mapbike,
Exactly which kit did you get?
My Huffy Cranbrook (from WallyWorld) has the (what looks like) aluminum wheel.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Mapbike,
Exactly which kit did you get?
My Huffy Cranbrook (from WallyWorld) has the (what looks like) aluminum wheel.
The one I have on mine is the first link I listed, it should work fine on your bike, I listed the additional links just so you could see that the guy has a good amount of options, just ,make sure that if you order from him or anyone else that they list the length of the caliper arms because anything shorter than 4" inches will not work on the 26" Huffy Cranbrook, the ones I listed in the post above are all long enough, and should work fine on your bike.
Here is another guy that has an entire KIT which includes everything you need, he claims the measurement is 70-90mm from center of stud to brake shoes that would be 2.75 - 3.54 inches, i'm not sure how they are measuring it so I would contact and ask them to measure from stud to end of caliper and see if it is 4" long in that area. this is a real good price $14.50 on the whole set up and he is offering free shipping to boot.

Here's the link: BICYCLE (F) SIDE PULL BRAKE SET+LEVER(R)+WIRE TIP NEW - eBay (item 230412496848 end time Aug-11-10 14:57:24 PDT)

Last edited:

pdubs

Jan 16, 2010
chicago
yes and yes.

it will rub the paint off, and it wont be the best stopping power..

im using this hub laced up by a local bike shop
Front Hub - Single Disc Black - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S.

would be nice to keep that blue rim from the cranook and disc/drum hub.

it gets pricey stopping without pads on the rim and custom looks.. but worth it!

just FYI front disc brake without rear brakes can be tricky especially on hard fast stops.
my next bike will have full disc and front suspension, couldnt ask for more :D

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
yes and yes.

it will rub the paint off, and it wont be the best stopping power..

im using this hub laced up by a local bike shop
Front Hub - Single Disc Black - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S.

would be nice to keep that blue rim from the cranook and disc/drum hub.

it gets pricey stopping without pads on the rim and custom looks.. but worth it!

just FYI front disc brake without rear brakes can be tricky especially on hard fast stops.
my next bike will have full disc and front suspension, couldnt ask for more :D
Agreed......good advice! Would like to go this route myself.