Is it Economical to Use Synthetic?

GoldenMotor.com

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
I've been using Amsoil Saber Pro for my HappyTime engines for over a year now. I understand that there is less wear and less smoke than using natural oil, however I've begun to wonder whether it's economical to use synthetic oil in these cheap engines.

Replacement pistons, rings, and cylinders are cheap. So if I used cheap motor oil maybe it would be cheaper over the lifespan of the parts than if I were continue using expensive synthetics.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I run lucus semi synthetic,opti-2,and other synthetic oils and there is no large cost difference....Stick with the synthetic unless you enjoy tearing these engines down and rebuilding them....

John-John.shft.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
just a question here wut happens if you just use regular motor oil like 5/30 or 10/30 besides the die not being there wut else is missing in the oil? still lubricates and burns no?

kahnowerh

Oct 26, 2009
Washington, District of Columbia
just a question here wut happens if you just use regular motor oil like 5/30 or 10/30 besides the die not being there wut else is missing in the oil? still lubricates and burns no?
According to the public at large:
wikipedia said:
Comparing regular lubricating oil with two stroke oil, the relevant difference is that two stroke oil must have a much lower ash content. This is required to minimize deposits that tend to form if ash is present in the oil which is burned in the engine's combustion chamber.
That, and a difference in viscosity (and, I'm sure, other chemical properties that I have no idea about).

See: here

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I spend about 1/4 as much as my buddy who uses synthetic. Partly because he uses it at 25:1 and I use Walmart marine oil at 50:1.

Running no oil at all would be most economical except after 2 weeks the engine seized. I broke it loose and got home but... well you get the idea. :)

Last edited:

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
I'm loving synthetic.. Not using any special stuff.. But im happy.. Runs well :)

I'm using Mobile Extra 2T Engine oil

There was this kid here who got an 49cc bike the china 2 stroke from a guy who was selling his used bike.. The kid ran the bike without engine oil and it locked up and he cried.. He didn't know he had to mix oil with the gas ran it full throttle everywhere without oil!

Last edited:

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
Is it economical... no

non synthetic oil is perfectly fine for these engines, it fouls the plugs a little and causes the engine to run a little hotter. Plugs cost less than 3 bucks to replace and ive run bikes 3000 miles on non synthetic without changing plugs.

That's all on paper, synthetic oil will improve your performance a little, starts are easier and you get less smoke. So the choice depends on how you value those things.

Personally I use a mixture of Heet, Amsoil Interceptor, Marvel Mystery Oil, and Opti 2 (even though they don't recommend mixing oils). The ratios are classified and I call it Phil's secret Stuff.

Hajuu

Nov 27, 2009
Perth
I thought one of the purposes of adding the 2 stroke oil was to clean out those deposits - like as in it had some extra cleaning property or something.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Is it economical... no

non synthetic oil is perfectly fine for these engines, it fouls the plugs a little and causes the engine to run a little hotter. Plugs cost less than 3 bucks to replace and ive run bikes 3000 miles on non synthetic without changing plugs.

That's all on paper, synthetic oil will improve your performance a little, starts are easier and you get less smoke. So the choice depends on how you value those things.

Personally I use a mixture of Heet, Amsoil Interceptor, Marvel Mystery Oil, and Opti 2 (even though they don't recommend mixing oils). The ratios are classified and I call it Phil's secret Stuff.
I just stamped it UNCLASSIFIED with big red letters!!!!Whats the ratios Phil????

John-John.shft.

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
there are many of the moter suppliers that will void the warranty if you do not use synth 2 stroke oil.
i run all engines, after two gallons break in, at 5 ounces to the gallon - 25 to 1.
i buy a 6 pack of 5 oz bottles for $10. thats less then 2 bucks a gallon. too expensive to go more than 120 miles???? get a skate board!

stay dry

gubba

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
The problem isn't having to replace parts when they break, the problem is having it break in the middle of god-knows-where.

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
people run non synthetic for 10000 miles, if you run non synthetic go 24:1; if synthetic, 32-50:1 at those ratios they will effectively lubricate equally....