Plastic gas tank?

GoldenMotor.com

unior

Jun 18, 2009
Lancaster, PA
Well I broke my original gas tank already. So I've been using a dasani 1 liter water bottle to get to work and I'm about ready for a real tank again lol. Has anyone else every had the studs vibrate and break out of the steel china tanks? I could order another one for $20 + shipping however I would prefer a plastic tank.

TIA

unior

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
why plastic? it can create static and ignite when you open the cap... just find a tank from a small dirt bike..

unior

Jun 18, 2009
Lancaster, PA
Uh plenty of lawnmowers have plastic tanks. I am about to order another steel chinese tank it just sucks shipping from CA to PA is 18 bucks.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
Uh plenty of lawnmowers have plastic tanks.
and just about every car made in the last 10 years, and many boat tanks made in the last 20 years... but there is a diffrence.. those tanks will never ever get laid down on there side from ither an accident or just getting knocked over... where the plastic will split on impact.. steel may leak, but it won't split open

as well, many of those tanks are baffled to cut down sloshing and therefor static

thescootergy

May 22, 2009
gladstone oregon
platic tanks are great i use what i call the saddle bag tank . kinda like a side tank but it only works with diaphram carbs , with the medal tanks made for the gravity feed carbs , i never mount them with just a single clamp pulling the studs out of the bottom of the tank happens from this . at the least it will make them leek . what i do is use a double set of clamps around the top tube with long 6mm studs going up then i thread 6mm extension onto the tank bolts with lock nut above that now just line it up and screw the tank onto the 6mm studs coming up from your clamps . an added benifit is one less vibration to worry about . the tank doesnt rattle against the bike . you might be able to see it in this picture this tank is the extra large tank from dax.com . very nice tank . the cap fits good but doesnt come stock with extra clamps you will have to ask for that .
townie picture by thescooterguy - Photobucket

bobo60

Nov 23, 2019
I got tired of the darn tank falling off or slipping, leaking, and more, so I just pulled one from a parts lawnmower and put a emongous clamp on it to the seat post and BAM, problem solved, looks cool and out of the way!

Attachments

bobo60

Nov 23, 2019
Well I broke my original gas tank already. So I've been using a dasani 1 liter water bottle to get to work and I'm about ready for a real tank again lol. Has anyone else every had the studs vibrate and break out of the steel china tanks? I could order another one for $20 + shipping however I would prefer a plastic tank.

TIA

unior
try this Bro, works great and I took it off from parts mower and clamp was free!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
They still have em on Ebay free shipping. I would have liked to had that available 6 years ago and now I thought maybe change to bigger that this would be good. I was thinking looking at the mounting is it just the two tabs with a slot cut away. What kink of thickness is there for the mounting tab plastic, if you know?

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
They still have em on Ebay free shipping. I would have liked to had that available 6 years ago and now I thought maybe change to bigger that this would be good. I was thinking looking at the mounting is it just the two tabs with a slot cut away. What kink of thickness is there for the mounting tab plastic, if you know?
Around 3/32 of an inch.

15806341250221558617812.jpg
15806342210461502685789.jpg

Last edited: