List of questions/arguements for Illinois motorized bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

musicman4763

Apr 3, 2009
Illinois
I am currently looking into making my own motorized bicycle, however, before I get too caught up with all the details, I want to speak to my local police (Lemont, a chicago suburb) and figure out what the legality is for them. I read through the thread titled "Illinois" and got the gist of it, although I got lost when they started throwing in the bills. But here is what I will be asking/argueing when i speak with them:

Is a motorized bike legal for public street use?
Do you consider a motorized bike a moped?
If yes: How do i register, title, and insure it? I herd that you cant since there isn't a VIN number
If no: Is it considered a power assisted bicycle, which means there isnt any need to get anything special for it since it is a bicycle, or is it considered a motorcycle?

I thought that was going to be a longer list. Please, help me come up with questions to ask. Thanks everyone.

musicman4763

Apr 3, 2009
Illinois
Re: List of questions/arguements for Illinois MB

I just had a thought. So I know that cities can have their own additions into municiple codes and get things banned that way. For example, in Elgin Illinois you can't ride a moped, even if it is titled, registered, insured, ect. But by this token, can't there be changes to the local laws that ALLOW these things? For example, seeing as we in Illinois can't actually title and register a motored bike, can't we somehow have meetings with our town and get these things legalized in our own towns if nothing else? Just a thought, comments appreciated. Thanks.

cls74

May 24, 2008
Springfield, IL

I'm of the sort that silence is your friend. Why bring any unwanted attention to yourself? Very few reports out there of anyone getting repeatedly harassed, most including myself report of never being stopped. I'll admit, I kill the engine and pedal whenever I see them first, but I have road by several from each agency I need to worry about, 5 in total, and although I got a double take have yet to be stopped.

State laws are in the works of being changed, hopefully to be in effect before years end, I suspect sooner if they do pass. Why go to a local level and bring anything to their attention to have it changed in a certain jurisdiction? I'll continue to ride mine with ignorance as my defense until laws change. If and when Illinois law does change to define them as legal I'd consider seeking changes to local ordinances only on a need to basis. If there are known ordinances against them, a newly revamped law will help support your cause.

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs

I just had a thought. So I know that cities can have their own additions into municiple codes and get things banned that way. For example, in Elgin Illinois you can't ride a moped, even if it is titled, registered, insured, ect. But by this token, can't there be changes to the local laws that ALLOW these things? For example, seeing as we in Illinois can't actually title and register a motored bike, can't we somehow have meetings with our town and get these things legalized in our own towns if nothing else? Just a thought, comments appreciated. Thanks.
actually,i live in elgin,and with in blocks of my house are 3 separate places that sell mopeds.that doesnt mean that they are legal to drive in elgin,but i find it amusing that elgin would have moped shops if you couldnt drive one within elgin's city limits :-/