would a Clinton A-300 work on a motorbike?

GoldenMotor.com

joey1320

Jul 15, 2014
Cleveland
Ran across a local guy with a few vintage engines, one of those is a 1949 Clinton A-300, which according to him, runs great. I'm in talks to buy it, and would love to install it on a nice cruiser frame.

Looking online, the engine has an output of 1.6hp and I'm thinking this may be a bit on the low side. Does anyone here have any experience with this type of engine, specifically on a motobike?

Here's a pic of the engine.

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
rubber seals only last 15-20 years. that engine might have no rubber seals due to the model year. it could have copper washer seals instead. either way it could use a few things in the long run so you better be one step ahead.

find a parts diagram and post it up if you can. the points/ ignition too. is it 4 stroke?

if you need help with engine stuff then you should get a predator engine or something newer.

Last edited:

joey1320

Jul 15, 2014
Cleveland
It is a 4 stroke engine. I'm having issues saving the parts diagram to photo bucket to post but I did take a screenshot of the exploded engine view, so I'll work on that.

Now doing more research, it seems the Clinton engine(not this model) was used on a minibike called the "Doodlebug". I was able to search online and see a bunch of those running, so I'm thinking it will have enough power.

Here's a different version of the same engine running. I gotta say I really like it ;)
.wee.

https://youtu.be/jmXTUWEIw-A

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That's a great old motor, I bid on one on ebay and got beat out by some sniper(now I know how it feels-lol). 1.6hp is governed, I believe there were different ratings on the same engine maybe up to 2 1/4? If you are going to run it ungoverned(I would, just be sensible) it will make more that the listed rating and would be excellent for a nostalgia bike build. My old Maytag engine was 5/8hp@ around 16/1800rpm governed. After removing the governor it will turn around 3000(sparingly) and is a real power house probably making 1-1 1/2 hp.

joey1320

Jul 15, 2014
Cleveland
If I was to get the engine, I think I would try to mount it on my brothers vintage worksman bread bike. That would be a sweet build. Not sure he would go for it haha.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I had the E350 vary similar same rating. It is a very heavy little engine so I would definitely use a strong frame like you mentioned. Also check the diameter of the shaftkme was a odd size.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
When I was nine my Dad bought me a 'Doodlebug'. It had a 2 horse Briggs with a kick starter. Later we ran Clinton 2 strokes on racing gokarts.

Geared right I'd say that little engine will pull you and a bike just fine. If nothing else it's a piece of history. I'd like to have it just to restore and look at.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.

Tom

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I vote yes on your Clinton because it looks right, is part of our national heritage... a bit of 'Americana', if you will. If you want simple and easy, then a Predator is a good choice, but if you want classy, go vintage. I'm having fun right now with a 199cc flathead Tecumseh 4 stroke.
SB

joey1320

Jul 15, 2014
Cleveland
Well the seller is kind of MIA, so not sure what is going to happen. I have emailed him twice and told him I'm a 100% buying it, but no replies :(

Man what a bummer... I hope he does respond and I can pick it up this weekend.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Them are KOOL engines i have one and got it to run and run strong,they are a lot like Briggs of that area. All i did was fine wet-dry sand paper the points cleaned it up and it started right Oh i had to pull the head and free up the one valve,just needed a little oil and tap on it up and down a few times and it was free. There is some parts on ebay for them,GO FOR IT.............Sent a PM ...................Curt