Bent Rim..

GoldenMotor.com

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
I have a pretty badly bent rim. Well it looks bent, friend said it just need realigned. Its a pretty cheap rim though. Should i just buy a new one so i don't have to keep dealing with it? Its the rear if that matters.

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
only one bike shop in town, and its twenty bucks :( if i get it trued will it need to keep getting trued. idk if thats proper english but you know what im sayin

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
O ya i'd definitely consider trying it. I'm usually okay with that type of stuff but i heard it requires alot of skill. Although the local bike shop guy is like clueless. How do you do it exactly?

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
If you look at the spokes you will see that every second spoke pull the rim one way, or in one direction. The other group of (every second) spokes pull the other way.
Start with the largest wobble and work your rim until they get smaller and smaller.
Never tighten the spokes more that a turn because you would be amazed at how much effect it can have.
I hold a screw driver against my frame and hold it steady. I then turn the rim and watch as the bent rim starts to get near my rim. I then note when it starts to scrape the rim.
Lets say that it rubbed for a length of 6 spokes. Out of those six spokes you only want to tighten the spokes that pull the rim away from side that rubbed. If it's 3 spokes you are going to tighten, you would turn the middle an amount that was more than the outer spokes. If all that makes sense to you, just work at it slowly, one wobble at a time and in ten minutes you will bee fine tuning the thing.
Don't forget to service the wheel bearings now while the wheel is of.

Edit* What Saddletramp said!

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Don't get the wheels you have pic'd they are not strong enough. There are purpose built wheels available. But if you go w/ prebuilt wheels go w/ 36 spokes or more, 3 cross (each spoke crosses three opposing spokes in an over over under or under under over fashion), and disc sprocket attachment.

It is the single biggest improvement I made to my "daily rider" and is really the improvement other than loctite and ign parts that made it a daily rider!

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
Thanks everybody, I'l definitely try to true my wheel here soon. I was a little in debt to a friend so i was down to my last 6 bucks. The spoke wrenches are 11 bucks. So once i can gather up 5 bucks in change i'l get started :D

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You can make it real easy by removing the tire, tube and rim strip and using a good screwdriver, fast, easy, and uh, fast and easy!

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
Wow.. if only i were to read this two hours earlier would've saved my 13 bucks. Well I bought the spoke wrench, i guess its a good thing i have one now, but turns out two of my spokes are actually broke :/ and the rim isn't in such good shape. Suprisingly my mom was in a good mood and said she'd buy me a set of those extra strong rims somebody posted about.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
That's nice of Mom and don't be sorry about buying the tool. It will last you your lifetime and you may as well start collecting tools now. Tools can pay for themselves in one use.
Tell Mom the boys at your new site say HI.

Way to go Mom!.bld. .shft. .wee. .duh.

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
Hahaha, thanks guys, i'll be sure to tell her sup lol. Very true about collecting the tools. I'v got a pretty good colection of tools just had never needed a spoke wrench and spent my last spare change on it lol. Back to the main topic, does anybody know much about those plastic looking rims?

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
Ya i was talking about rims like these...
I'v seen a bike or two on here with them. Pro's and Con's of these? I love the look. Can't seem to find a price though.