New Build (raw engine)

GoldenMotor.com

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
This is the motor mount I made for the Kings/Schwinn. I sill don't like the way the one on the Raw bike vibrates. It might be the engine, I think the latest batch are the worst for vibration. Are the needle bearing in the wrist pin helping? I hear a lot of noise in the top end!

Attachments

biker91

Jan 21, 2009
Ohio
Hey guys iam a noob and have no idea what wtf iam doing so help me out please I have serched a **** load of forums and everybody says somthing diff about every engine kit and man i just want.two know whats the best quality kit for the price see i was thinking i couldnt go wrong with the DAX 2 stroker but idk so maybe I can get some help thanks!

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
Hey guys iam a noob and have no idea what wtf iam doing so help me out please I have serched a **** load of forums and everybody says somthing diff about every engine kit and man i just want.two know whats the best quality kit for the price see i was thinking i couldnt go wrong with the DAX 2 stroker but idk so maybe I can get some help thanks!
The reason why everyone has different opinion is because no 2 engines are same, no 2 people are the same, and everyone has different set up on their bike. What it come down to is, what are you looking for? It will be hard to find high quality at a low price. In most cases, you will receive what you pay for. If you really have no idea what you're doing, there are dealers that will construct one for you. This hobby requires morethan just mechanical knowhow. A lot of patience and some ingenuity usually is needed to install and maintain the kits. Read through the attached link and decide. There are many choices available.

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/find-dealer-review-1730.html

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Well said ebmvegan.

What part of Ahia are you from biker91?

I'm up here in the north eastern part of the state, otherwise know as Ashtraybula county

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Many years ago I read in a motorcycle magazine never drill a hole in any frame ever. Im just cautioning,you because no one can see metal fatigue.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
This is the motor mount I made for the Kings/Schwinn. I sill don't like the way the one on the Raw bike vibrates. It might be the engine, I think the latest batch are the worst for vibration. Are the needle bearing in the wrist pin helping? I hear a lot of noise in the top end!
Dave,

I would take the time to slip the head and jug off, and have a look! As you know if something lets go while it's running...The engine will more than likely be ruined.

Does it subside somewhat when the engine is hot? You may be hearing piston slap.

Jim

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Many years ago I read in a motorcycle magazine never drill a hole in any frame ever. Im just cautioning,you because no one can see metal fatigue.
This is a valid concern, especially in Aluminum. A large drilled hole in thin material such as frame tubing isn't round. There is not enough metal to fully engage the drill so it "corkscrews" into the metal and you end up with a hole that has 3 distinctive points...sorta like the rotor in a Mazda rotary engine. These points are where stress cracks can begin to form and spiderweb a good distance before the tube let's go in an instant. Ideally the hole should be reamed round after drilling and the edges radiused and polished. Time consuming...yes. Save you from a nasty spill from a broken frame; possibly.

Rigid mounting this particular engine is also a bad idea as the vibrations can induce stess cracks. Think of an opera singer who can resonate a wine glass to the point of shattering. I know this is a moot point because dampened mounts aren't available for the many frame styles. Just keep a close eye on your frame.

I've been reading posts for about 5 months and I have yet to hear about a catastophic failure...just beware it can happen and check your bike often.

It appears that interest in motorbiking is expanding weekly. With this there will be the potential for problems. Possibly major problems!

Scenario:

Not knowing any better, (not mechanically inclined), a guy goes out and buys the cheapest aluminum-framed bike he can find. With minimal tools he hacks and whacks in haste until the engine kit is installed. He then proceeds to ride it full blast everywhere he goes never checking the bike out for problems. Something let's go and he's seriously injured.

If it happens enough, a law will be passed that bicycles can not have engines...motors only, and we will all be forced to quit, or go electric.

In the interest of cost savings, department store bikes have become ever lighter and cheaper. The frame tubes are of a thinner cross section, the bearings are acceptable for low speed only...with 25MPH bursts such as when peddaling. Basically they are marginal for thier intended appication...add an engine and you must be careful. Add one more factor; many of us, myself included, are 200+lbs.

I ride my bikes fast, but they are engineered to do it safely. Nothing has been left unchecked.

Jim

biker91

Jan 21, 2009
Ohio
Iam from stark county and I was kinda wondering about getting either daxs 2 stroke kit or the titan it just has to be sufficant enough to climb atleast a 20% grade please tell would I be wasting my money???

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Biker91, Hi And Welcome. You Will Get Help From The Experts Soon. The Titan Is Higher Priced But Much Better Performance And More Trouble Free To My Knowledge. Ron.we.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I can't comment on the Titan in comparison to the two stroke engines....Cruiser has had both, PM him for a personal opinion.

biker91

Jan 21, 2009
Ohio
Hey guys i appreciate that me myself I thought that the 2 stroke would be better cuz i need all the power I can get for the all the hills lol but you guys tell me???

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The 70cc kits (What some call 80cc's) are more than likely better for pulling up hills than the 50cc four stroke kit. You COULD ask the man himself (Duane at thatsdax)....look to the left of the page, and follow the link, or maybe he'll be along here shortly to comment.

biker91

Jan 21, 2009
Ohio
Hey thanks man I pretty much just a lot low end torqe cuz these hills are killer and there every where oh and my normal commute will be pretty short 10-15 miles or less so what kit has alot of torqe??

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Hey thanks man I pretty much just a lot low end torqe cuz these hills are killer and there every where oh and my normal commute will be pretty short 10-15 miles or less so what kit has alot of torqe??
You'll probably need an application specific bike with the, (on-the-fly) ability to change gear ratios.

A single ratio set-up is not going to be able to handle "Killer hills" and give good performance on the flat too.

Jim

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
I got nothing but hills in Colorado and the 2 stroke engines do quite well provided you run a 48 or 50 tooth sprocket but your top speed on straight away is maxed out at 20mph is you are lucky.

With the shifter kit from SBP, hills are just as easy and top speed doesn't suffer. One thing I will say, the new 65-67cc engines are weaker than the older 70cc engines. I miss the old bushing engines, they were more powerful but did vibrate quite a bit.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I think the engine kit that Quinton is putting together is going to be a good one. Knowing him from his posts and the time he has spent working on the Whizzer, I think this is going to be the kit to reckon with. I have to tell you that I like the Happy time but am getting weary of the amount of work to get them running well. It is not best fitted to the new builder, and the vibration is going to have a long reaching affect on the rest of the bike. I have never figured out if any of these engines are balanced better than the others. The only one I know that did try was the GruBee and he shut down as the new Emissions standards came out. I have built seven of these Happy's.

PS : The last front mount.

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
EGOR, THE 10 HT KITS I BOUGHT AS A PACKAGE ARE GRUBEE STAR-FIRE, MOTORIZED POWER (STICKER ON CLUTCH COVER) WWW.GRUBEE INC.COM. MOST OF THEM ARE BLACK. THEY HAVE THE MOTOR MOUNT CAPS (LOOK LIKE A CONNECTING ROD CAP=CAST ALUMINUM) I ASKED WHERE YOU GOT YOURS. NEVER LOOKED AT MINE. laff DO YOU RECKCON THESE ARE 49CC?? ARE THESE THE ENGINES THAT VIBRATE LESS?? THESE MOTORS HAVE SHORT STUDS AND JUST THE CAP FOR THE FRT MOUNT. THE BK MT STUDS STICK OUT 3 5/8" FROM THE BLOCK AND HAVE 2 SPACERS (WITH PIPE NOTCH) AND THE CAP. RON

Last edited:

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Neat - All the first engines I got had the con rod looking end caps. The kits also all came with the Aluminum throttle housings and the early clutch handles, both I like better than the new ones. Over a year ago GB advertised that he was going to have a steel lined cylinder in his 49cc, I was looking forward to that. I have never seen one of his kits personally and I have never had the chance to run a 49cc engine yet. I would like to try one. I understand that the original engine is only 49 and there is a chance that it was only designed to be that size and so, that is the problem with the vibration. GB started working on the 4 stroke kits when he left the 2's. The kit he made up has the gear box that is giving trouble, that is the one that Quinton is replacing with his new idea. Have fun, Dave
EGOR, THE 10 HT KITS I BOUGHT AS A PACKAGE ARE GRUBEE STAR-FIRE, MOTORIZED POWER (STICKER ON CLUTCH COVER) WWW.GRUBEE INC.COM. MOST OF THEM ARE BLACK. THEY HAVE THE MOTOR MOUNT CAPS (LOOK LIKE A CONNECTING ROD CAP=CAST ALUMINUM) I ASKED WHERE YOU GOT YOURS. NEVER LOOKED AT MINE. laff DO YOU RECKCON THESE ARE 49CC?? ARE THESE THE ENGINES THAT VIBRATE LESS?? THESE MOTORS HAVE SHORT STUDS AND JUST THE CAP FOR THE FRT MOUNT. THE BK MT STUDS STICK OUT 3 5/8" FROM THE BLOCK AND HAVE 2 SPACERS (WITH PIPE NOTCH) AND THE CAP. RON