Seat post gas tank mount

GoldenMotor.com

JaxInsany

May 6, 2013
Portland, OR
Anyone have any ideas? I'm mounting a custom spherical "cannonball" tank in a welded cage of 1/8" steel wire and it won't fit nicely in the confines of my frame. I was thinking about welding the cage mount to a bolt-on panier rack for the seat post. If anyone has comments or a much better idea, feel free to chime in!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If the engine uses a gravity flow fuel system, which unless you have a fuel pump it does, the only thing you need be concerned with is the height of the tank's fuel outlet fitting. It must be higher than the carburetor fuel inlet. Liquids won't run up hill or flow well at level. Keep that in mind when mounting the tank no matter the shape or where you mount it.

Tom

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
How much of the seat post is sticking out of the frame?
If there is enough you can find a piece of tubing that has the same ID as the seat post's OD and cut a length equal to the height of the seat post.
Now cut the short piece of tubing in half lengthwise. Securely weld the half tube to your wire cage and use hose clamps to hold the half tube to the seat post tube.
You can also get creative and use small pipe clamps (minature muffler clamps)
welded up to the half tube and have an even more secure clamping system.

JaxInsany

May 6, 2013
Portland, OR
How much of the seat post is sticking out of the frame?
If there is enough you can find a piece of tubing that has the same ID as the seat post's OD and cut a length equal to the height of the seat post.
Now cut the short piece of tubing in half lengthwise. Securely weld the half tube to your wire cage and use hose clamps to hold the half tube to the seat post tube.
You can also get creative and use small pipe clamps (minature muffler clamps)
welded up to the half tube and have an even more secure clamping system.
That is a spectacular plan of action, Thanks much!