the problem with motorbicycling

GoldenMotor.com

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
The problem with this activity i.e.,riding around on a bike with a powered assistant--is that is is so much fun you know it won't be legal for long.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Most likely... but I'm gonna have my fun with it while I can... I used to love mountain biking but a few years back I took an 8 foot fall off a ladder and tore the cartilage in my left ankle, the doctors were treating it like a sprain and put me thru therapy which just made it worse so they decided to operate on it to remove some scar tissue etc, told me I'd be walking again in a few days... then I woke up with my leg wrapped up in a splint and told not to put ANY weight on it for 6 weeks... Come to find out the doctor saw the real problem once he had me cut open and decided to just shave all the cartilage off my ankle. This left me permanently injured there and I have to walk with a cane... and no more pedaling... Then I found out about putting these engines on my bike so that's what I did and now I'm hooked because I can ride again regardless of my bad ankle, but what's even more fun is to take it for a ride, bring it home, and pull the engine to do tons of mods to make it faster, put it back on and let ehr rip... I'm on my second engine now, not because I broke the first one, but because the mods I'm doing to that engine were keeping me from riding so I built a temporary engine with moderate upgrades until I'm done upgrading the firat one...
It's fun and it's definitely addictive so I'm sure there are people out there looking how to get these things illegal as fast as they can...

zhono

Feb 2, 2012
MA
Not sure exactly when it was, but here in Mass, they recently added an option to the moped registration form covering these bikes. Instead of checking the "New" or "Used", you check the "Converted bicycle" box. Then you fill out and sign an extra form called "BICYCLE CONVERSION to MOTORIZED BICYCLE (MOPED) AFFIDAVIT of OWNER". You have to provide the details for the bike and serial number of the engine, and attest that the engine meets the requirements of any other moped. Then you can pay your $40 and get your moped sticker.

So if you install the centrifugal clutch, and tell them the engine is only 49cc and goes a max of 30mph, you meet the moped requirements and you'll be legal. You then have the right to ride on all public roads, except limited access and state highways where there are signs prohibiting bicycles.

So I'm glad they updated the laws to allow these bikes, rather than trying to ban them.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That's good news for where you're at... I'm thinking about just registering mine as a custom built motorcycle if they ever crack down on them over here since mine goes... um... just a bit faster than 30 and has the bigger engine...

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
One would think, if the authorities are really interested in what they say they are--pollution control, natural resource conservation, ending American dependence on Mid-Eastern oil--they would be promoting motorized bikes with every means at their disposal.Every highway would have protected lanes for bicycles, traditional AND motor assisted.As it is, to get anyplace on such devices you have to study maps looking for untrodden ways,no matter how circuitous. Either that or edge along on trafficked roads like mice trying to keep out of the path of the stampeding elephants.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I always do my best to stay within the law, but if they ban our bikes I will just have to be an outlaw I guess, I still believe this is the land of the free and if what I do poses no threat to others then I want the government to just leave me the heck alone and mind their own freaking business and stay out of mine.

People just need to obey the traffic laws and don't do anything to make themselves stand out or look like a threat to public safety in any way and maybe we can dodge the ban bullet for many years to come.

Map