HF Qmatic in modern Schwinn

GoldenMotor.com

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
The teaser pictures :D

Alright guys. Today was my birthday and I woke up to $200 of my debt being forgiven and the promise of a set of ape hangers for this build. I spent some time, and some effort mocking up where I would put the various bags and military items I bought on the bike. I started purchasing hardware for mounting the bags and the canteen fuel tanks. I had some trouble finding the fittings that I needed to merge two fuel canteens into one line. I found a source online and will get the fittings, and a whole bunch of other parts for the bike tomorrow. Sorry if my thoughts are a little scattered right now, it's been a long day. Here are some pictures of the mock up with all the things more or less where I want them but hung with twine. Hope you like :)

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Looking good Luke.. Cant wait to check it out in person. What size apes are you planning. I have 2 brand new sets hanging in the basement. they are the size that I used on the 53 Schwinn, Im looking for a set of cruiser bars if youd want a trade.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Glad you like the build chain :) I painted the cruiser bars I have with spray paint so I'm not sure if you'd want them or not but I was thinking of using the 15s the 25 is gonna be too big for this build I think. Peace
-LS

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Canteen gas tank mount

Hi all, this morning I started fabricating my mount for the canteen gas tanks. I used the propane torch and some flat stock, and I rigged up my vice so I had a 15/16" socket wired to one jaw, and a carved out wood block wired to the other. I heated the metal until red and then I clamped it so that I made bends in the metal half the diameter of the bikes downtube. Then I just bent the rest to shape and put some screws in it, it isn't finished or painted but it's getting there. Enjoy :)

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
I really Like the Look of your Bike . I hope you would not mind if I end up painting mine in OD Army Green ? It's really COOL .

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Go ahead and build a military bike, I'm in love with military design and would never be the one to discourage someone who also likes that look :) Glad you like him! His name is still Cogsworthy even though he has changed A LOT since the original Cogsworthy. I had a dog tag made for him that is on the seat post :)

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Well, I've been doing more work on the bike and things are finally starting to come together. I got my apes from pirates and my elbows are FINALLY lower than my hands which will mean comfortable riding. I made myself a plate that I could mount my headlight to. It took a bit of creativity but I'm really happy with how it came out. Just a suggestion to any new people reading this, the stainless steel rubber lined P clips you can get at the hardware store are amazing for these builds! That's what I mounted my head light plate with. The plate and the gas tank mount will be painted before the final installation. I also installed slime tubes and my brand new cheng shin c241's which give the bike a look like a giant Schwinn stingray. I drilled a tiny hole in the underside of the apes and went through a lot of trouble to feed my wire through, I'll make it flow nicely with the lines of the frame soon. The grip and brake handle are on and the kill switch assembly I made is glued to the bar end with hot glue. I made a clean looking little pvc cap so you can't see the ugly assembly underneath. It's not done, but it's looking good, and I feel really cool sitting on it! Here are the pictures, ask questions if you have any.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Alrighty, after more than 6 weeks of waiting, my hub adapter got here today. Sound the bells of joy :) !!!!! It was just what I expected, cleanly machined, light weight, and way better than a rag joint! The one big problem I faced is that I was told that the cheaper chinese made steel sprocket simply needed to be drilled out to fit the adapter right. THAT IS NOT TRUE. I drilled out the holes to stat, but then I had to go through a lot of trouble filing the holes outward so the wide reach of the adapter would work. My final thought is, pay an extra 20 and get the aluminum sprocket that you need, it's worth while. It looks very good on the wheel, it feels like I'm building a factory moped or something, it's all so clean and nice, only difference is, it is WAY cooler than a moped. Enjoy the pics

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Alright guys, I spent all day yesterday making my mount just right for the engine, I'll mount it up today and get some pictures for y'all

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
well, update, the mount I made sucked, lol, so, I went ahead and ordered one from AGK. He is a super nice guy and makes some quality products. I ordered on Wednesday I think and my parts got from CA to CT in two days. The mount is sturdy and beautiful, and I decided that I wanted a straight pipe that would swoop backward at an upward angle so I bought his exhaust flange and 90 degree header for the HF too. I need to re-adjust my mounts that the plate attaches to before I put on the engine because I pushed both upward with jb stik to make them level front to back, but there is a severe left to right angle that I did not consider, and I obviously want things as level as possible. I took some comparison shots of the mounts, it's clear which one is AGK's :D

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Not long now LS !! AKG Makes some nice looking stuff, I want to check out that jackshaft sometime!

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Yeah, the jackshaft looks nice too :) I heard that it makes for more of a race setup and less of a commuting setup like the qmatic

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I've done a lot of stuff since I last posted on this thread. I'm crunching to complete this bike for my rally! I hope I can. I set a screw in one part of the throttle assembly with JB weld then drilled a hole in the handlebar so only the grip would twist and not the entire assembly.

I made my mounting blocks straight (it was terribly slanted last time so this time I worked carefully with a level to make it all good). I also worked on my gas tank mount and finished it. Over all the mount has 16 screws on it, all of which have been loctited with various strengths.

I acetoned, primed, and painted the bike again after carefully masking it. This second coat of paint is to cover up any scratches or deformities that were made during the mock up process. I went into my engine and pulled the governor and oil shutoff, and I helicoiled a mounting hole that I cross threaded accidently.

I'm really happy with where the bike is headed and hopefully I'll be test riding it tomorrow night!