Optimum off-road-motor bike gear ratio?

GoldenMotor.com

dtj6ppc

Feb 23, 2011
redondo
Is there a gear ratio calculator or formula that can determine the optimal final low drive gear ratio for an off-the-road motor bike?, that will take into consideration;

-a total bike, motor, rider, and carry weight of 325 lbs

-1.6 horsepower

-7,000 max rpm

-40 percent max incline grade climb capability

-26 inch wheel diameter

-at 5mph

thanks..................Don

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hey there Don Redondo, welcome to the forum! It would help knowing what kind of gearbox you are running to determine what you're looking for gear ratio wise. Or are you trying to determine which type of gear box to use?

Please let us know....help is on the way! dnut

Side note......if you're running a 4-stroke engine, a 72 tooth rear sprocket comes too mind.

Is there a gear ratio calculator or formula that can determine the optimal final low drive gear ratio for an off-the-road motor bike?, that will take into consideration;

-a total bike, motor, rider, and carry weight of 325 lbs

-1.6 horsepower

-7,000 max rpm

-40 percent max incline grade climb capability

-26 inch wheel diameter

thanks..................Don

Last edited:

dtj6ppc

Feb 23, 2011
redondo
Hey there Don Redondo, welcome to the forum! It would help knowing what kind of gearbox you are running to determine what you're looking for gear ratio wise. Or are you trying to determine which type of gear box to use?

Please let us know....help is on the way! dnut

Side note......if you're running a 4-stroke engine, a 72 tooth rear sprocket comes too mind.
Hi Scotto,

Exactly, I am trying to figure out what combination of gear box, jack shaft gears, crank gear, and rear wheel gear that combined will give me a final drive ratio adequate enough to move 325 lbs up a maximum incline of 40 percent, using 1.6 horsepower, at 7,000 rpm, at say a minimum speed of 5 mph........................Don

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well then I'd say a rear sprocket of 72-75 teeth on whatever set-up you decide on. I don't recall the cliffs at Palos Verde being much different than that of Blacks down here.....hope you're gonna use a rear rack mount for your board, unless you don't mind dings? Cheers!