replacing intake gasket & air leaks

GoldenMotor.com

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
what material should I be buying at the auto parts store for making an intake gasket? and should I replace my exhaust gasket as well? If I buy gasket sealant will I be able to use it to seal air leaks as well, or will I have to buy silicone to do that? my bike won't idle, so I am going to replace the intake gasket and I want to seal any place I could get an air leak.

I also need to make my bike rain proof.. other than getting fenders, what could I do to keep my electrical devices (CDI, magneto, speedo) from shorting out or being rendered useless? do any of you ride in the rain a lot?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
About any old paper gasket material will work, and there is a pack at Ace Hardware with three sheets of three different material for cheap. I posted the part number here at one time, but you'll have to look for it. For the sealer you can use form-a-gasket, Seal-All, or silicone.
To make the bike more water resistant, seal off the mag cover, where the wires go into the mag, and the CDI where the wires go in and the plug lead goes out with silicone.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sorry, forgot to add that you can use a VW heat riser gasket for the exhaust (so I have been told several times) or there is a Ford part that fits that was posted here a few days ago....search and find. If it isn't leaking now, keep an eye on it, it may never leak, or may leak tomorrow.

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
thanks for the info. I think I am going to go ahead and buy some silicone, does that come in a spray? I have a small bottle of silicone... its it like 15mL, can I smear that on?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Not the spray type or liquid type for water proofing boots...you can use plain old bath tub grade silicone (not "siliconized latex") or the squeezy tube type. Buy a boatload (caulking tube) at wart mart for 2.12

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
You can use a conformal coating product called HumiSeal for waterproofing the magneto. It is available in both spray cans and like 'regular' paint that you can brush on. It comes with a UV tracer so that you can check for complete surface coating under a black light.

otheracco

Jul 19, 2010
Minnesota - Near Cities
I have an air leak on the carb end of the intake manifold that I've tried fixing 5 separate times. I'm still using the original rubber gasket, because it's not in bad shape, and Seal All. The leak is still there; I've tested for it by spraying brake cleaner on the carb clamp.

I'm not sure how to fix this. So far in this thread its been suggested to use a paper gasket on the intake, but that must be for the end that mounts to the engine. Since my air leak is at the carb end, where the carb slides onto the manifold, I need to know a (hopefully) foolproof way to seal the leaks, whether by purchasing another gasket or making my own.

So, what can I do to seal this thing? If I have to buy my own gasket material, how would I cut the gasket?

FYI, I have the CNS2 carb which requires that retarded spacer to fit onto the intake manifold.